MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Default First grad party

Helping a friend out for their sons graduation party. Nothing crazy but it will be my largest cook on the new lang.

Feeding 30 heavy eaters and she wants to have some leftovers so my numbers are looking like

9 Racks of STL Ribs. I figure some will eat 3 bones, some will eat 4
15lb brisket, everyone gets 8ozs of sliced

She also wants chicken thighs and legs
I figured everyone gets 1 leg 1 thigh plus Ill cook a few extra so
45 thighs and 45 drums.

She wants to eat around 3-4pm. I would like to be done cooking by 2 as my plan to build in some extra time. I just need to figure out ball park cook times.

I like to cook brisket at 325* or so, Ribs at 275 and Chicken 325 also but those are some big variables to do in this cook. Ive messed around with my Lang 84 enough to get different heat zones. I have about 8-9hours of site time before eating which isn't exactly ideal. My top upper rack closest to the firebox will usually be around 315* if I keep my opposite end lower rack at 275*. So hopefully I can cook my brisket for the duration of the cook on the upper rack at 315*, ribs on opposite end lower rack at 275*. For the last hour of the cook I will have have the ribs off and I can crank the heat up for the chicken and place them on the top rack and drop the brisket down. Regardless that only gives me 7 hours of cook time for the brisket which is really cutting it close in my eyes and only leaves me with 1hr rest.

Any tips from you guys? How do my food numbers seem? Thanks for the help!
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

how many males in attendance?

I would take that number and times the portions by 2.

You might have leftovers.

might not

;)

my point is I think you are light in your estimate
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

The 30 people are supposed to be just family so I would say 15-20males and 10-15 female.. I also know the son is going to end up sneaking some friends over but she isn't going to pay to feed all of his friends.

As the numbers are each plate is getting almost 15ozs. Think I need to be doubling that?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
The 30 people are supposed to be just family so I would say 15-20males and 10-15 female.. I also know the son is going to end up sneaking some friends over but she isn't going to pay to feed all of his friends.

As the numbers are each plate is getting almost 15ozs. Think I need to be doubling that?
I dont know

I do think those boys will eat more than 3-4 bones apiece.

unless you ration them
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

I know the ribs will go first, then brisket and mostly only the girls will eat the chicken... The chicken was a last minute request because she wants to make sure there is enough food. She does not want to run out and have her family hate her!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

then make more.

I would cook some of it the day before if you dont have the room
Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

I am pretty sure I will have more than enough room on a Lang 84... My only real concern is the brisket and getting it done quick enough to be cooked on site, ready and rested by 3-4pm
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

At 325 an injected brisket will take about 4 hours and then a couple in the cooler/cambro.
This is my timing for comp and catering. I cook two hours and check for color and then foil or pan and foil (prefer pan and foil) for the final two hours. check for 205 in the point!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Chad for that hot and fast info! Are you talking full packer done in 4 hours? If I can cook it that fast, I will be in flying colors and will have more than enough time to drop down to 275* for my ribs etc...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep. Full packer. I inject with apple juice and salt/sugar to make a very light brine. If you have a rack that fits a full-size foil pan you're golden. Inject the brisket and lightly rub the night before. Then place on the baking rack and place the whole shebang in the cooker. When you pan up, just lift it, set in the pan, add a bit of apple juice, wrap with foil, and slide back into the cooker. The hot/fast works great for events like this where you need to free up space for ribs/chicken, etc. The time in the cooler is important and I always used the big Coleman/Igloo (120 qt or bigger) since the full size foil pans fit in there flat.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Great thanks chad.

I planed to have the cooker fired up by 6am
Brisket as soon as up to temp so approx. 7am and off by 12-1pm the latest so it can rest for 3-4hours in the cooler
Ribs on at 1130-12 off right before serving
Chicken on at 1.5hour before and hopefully crank the heat way up, get em done and let them rest for 30min or so