MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Water Pan for all you eggers and komado people like me.

I took a 16 inch aluminum pizza pan, light weight not a cooking tray, and crimped the edges with my pipe crimpers and it fits the top of my diverter stone perfect. I have used this one now for weeks and it hold water for smoking like a champ.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Nice... I use the Costco foil pans, easy cleanup. My hands would be cramping up if I tackled a pizza pan like you did.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

since i have never used a water pan in my egg, what is the purpose of it?

thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't see the need for water in a Kamado, but do use a foiled pizza pan to catch drippings.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

A water pan stabilizes temperature fluctuations acting like a heat sink, catches drippings, and provides a moist environment for my meat. I believe moisture in meat is closely related to the amount of fat rendered. That being said, I have used a pizza pan and my trusty Costco foil pan with water, and both turned out great Que. I like the foil water pan because the drippings don't burn. Can't go wrong really. Love Kamado kooking.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofTheCoals View Post
A water pan stabilizes temperature fluctuations acting like a heat sink, catches drippings, and provides a moist environment for my meat. I believe moisture in meat is closely related to the amount of fat rendered. That being said, I have used a pizza pan and my trusty Costco foil pan with water, and both turned out great Que. I like the foil water pan because the drippings don't burn. Can't go wrong really. Love Kamado kooking.
I agree the water pan makes for a more even heat. The height of this pan works for me better than the foil pans for low and slow smoking, Just sayin......Thanks for lookin!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

thanks for the info. i may try a water pan next time.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The ceramic mass of the BGE does a great job of stabilizing temps so I've never seen the need to use a water pan. More mess to clean up.

But, that would make a nice drip pan to sit on top of the plate setter of on the lower grate of a two grate setup.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The ceramic mass of the BGE does a great job of stabilizing temps so I've never seen the need to use a water pan. More mess to clean up.

But, that would make a nice drip pan to sit on top of the plate setter of on the lower grate of a two grate setup.
Being relatively new to this type cooker, I have always used it for keeping the temps even. My vision Kamado is very good at heat retention, but I feel that the water radiates a more even heat across the grill. As the fuel below burns off in different spots the water pan absorbs the heat and evenly distributes it across the cook area. IMHO

Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a pan under the meat to catch the drippings, and I may add a little liquid to it just so the drippings don't burn. Never seemed to need a pan of water to stabilize temps in the Keg.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like the looks of that. I've never used a water pan in my egg but there are times when I'm going hot an fast that I think it would be a good idea. I know R2Egg2Q uses one in his egg and he might make the best looking brisket I've seen on this site. I've been tempted to try it ever since asking him about it.

I mean seriously, look at this baby.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Being relatively new to this type cooker, I have always used it for keeping the temps even. My vision Kamado is very good at heat retention, but I feel that the water radiates a more even heat across the grill. As the fuel below burns off in different spots the water pan absorbs the heat and evenly distributes it across the cook area. IMHO
Makes sense. Maybe that's a difference between the Vision and the Egg. I've never even seen a Vision let alone cooked on one

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Makes sense. Maybe that's a difference between the Vision and the Egg. I've never even seen a Vision let alone cooked on one
Well here you go. Your first look at a Vision Kamado Pro series III