MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #46
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

As a competitor and BY cook, I'm 100% in support of commercial rubs all the way. Saves me time and they are damn good. That whole 'Quality Control' thing really does work IMO. These commercial rub artists....that sounds farking dirty..... anyways, they have it dialed in.

Additionally, I'm not saving $ by making my own rubs.....far from it actually. We used to make our own rubs, but it just wasn't good enough....and I was sick and tired of having to buy a new jar of Turmeric/Coriander/Goat Nut Powder/YouNameIt to keep fresh ingredients in our rubs.

We've been using the same basic 4 rubs for the past 5 years with much success, both in the BY and at comps.

In no particular order:
3-Eyz
Plowboys
Butchers
Smoking Guns

I totally respect the guys that make their own rubs and are happy with them. This homeboy doesn't have time.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #47
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
It really is just a crap shoot.

Anyways, i was to lazy to read through the whole thread, but this "commercial small sized rub" was fantastic (imo, see crap shoot someone else might not like it) on ribs.

Tried that stuff years ago, too much cinnamon in it for me and everyone at the house that day that tried the ribs.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #48
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love making my own rubs, and I love supporting American businesses. Ergo! I mix it up and do both. Sometimes I make my own, sometimes I use some commercial stuff, and rarely do I ever have any regrets.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #49
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

In the end we use what works best for us, what suits our tastes, preferences, and what time allows us to do.

It doesn't mean it's right for everyone to buy commercially rubs. Some will, some won't.

The bottom line is that making multi-layers of flavors in rubs at home is not an easy task. I takes time to order fresh ingredients, properly measure and mix them to get that product you are seeking. To many of us time is an important commodity, much like money. Just as we spend our money wisely, many of us have to manage our time with the same principals. Some of us have the time and others do not, in the end we do what is best for our individual needs.

The nature of my post was to explain that after 10 years of mixing my own rubs, I no longer had the time to make my own, so settled on one commercial rub which was great. After 5 -6 years of using this great rub, I let my guard down and tried a different rub for a family gathering. To my surprise, this exceeded the expectations of my regular rub. I wish I had experimented and tried other commercial rubs years ago. But with a closed mindset I had skipped by one of the best rubs I have ever tried.

Some of us make rubs to save money, some are happy with basics like salt and pepper. That's all fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that. I too, at one time, felt this way. I felt smaller bottles of rubs were just too expensive. It wasn't until my small cooks grew into catering events that I found that I did not have the time needed to order and mix the rubs. That's when I began using a commercial rub.

I'll be the first to say that I am as cheap as the day is long, but I also feel that you get what you pay for. Somewhere in the middle is a balance that we all adhere to, but at different levels of compliance.

My post here was probably geared to the newer users, telling them not to be afraid to try a commercial rub. Granted some are great and some are far from it, regional and personal tastes are the greatest variables between our own individual choices. The other factor is how the individual uses the rub. Some lightly sprinkle the rub on, others (like myself) dredge the meat into the rub, this too affects the final flavor of the meat.

Also not all commercial rubs are created equal... I have used some that appear to be all salt, others have high sugar content. These may be a desired flavor profile for some, but not for me. I feel these manufacturers who use too much salt or sugar are using these as fillers trying to get a larger return to gain larger profits.

Then again there may be consistency issues with some rubs. I had tried a different commercial rub many years ago, the first two cases I used were great, the third case was overly salty. When I contacted the team about the issue they never responded, so in a pinch I found a local team who sold a rub with absolute consistency.

In the end, I am saying to open your mind to other things. I was set in my ways and my train of thought. I could have saved myself 10 years of ordering and mixing in an effort trying to achieve what was already available to me. However if you find one you really like, then try to replicate it if you are so inclined to mix your own rubs.

Making rubs or buying rubs will always be a personal choice. Doing either does not make your "Q" better or worse. Either can expand your flavor horizons and help you find the apex of your cooks. Not everyone cooks in large volumes and buying in bulk can be a bad choice if they have small cooks.

Rubs are like tools, a good design can help make the "BBQ" great, while others may not, use your tools properly. Think of using a pair of pliers to remove a screw, it'll get the job done, but not as good and effectively as the proper screwdriver.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 03-07-2013 at 08:11 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
My post here was probably geared to the newer users, telling them not to be afraid to try a commercial rub.
Well.....it worked.
You broke my commercial rub "cherry" with this thread. haha

On the BigPoppaSmoker website, I have sitting in the cart three different rubs (I'm just waiting on my wife to tell me which method of payment I should use).

Here's what I'm buying:
- Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy 13oz
- 3 Eyz Rub 1 pound bag
- Money Rub 14oz

I chose these based partially on what was said in this thread, but also what I've heard from y'all on this site.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #51
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

For someone who's in the business I can easily see how buying a commercial rub would save on time and also keep some form of consistency with the product.

That is probably the best way. We've always said that BBQ restaurants do not have the time to cater to each individual cut of meat like the backyard warrior does. They are serving a mass amount of people within a small window of time. So they cannot afford to waste time, money or hit and miss on consistency.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #52
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I feel about rubs the way that my son feels about welding carts. I asked him why he didn't just buy a cheap cart from Harbor Freight. He said it is a point of pride that welders make their own carts for their welder. (*) I feel the same way about rubs. In fact, I'm a little anal about spice blends. I get my undies in a bunch every time I see a recipe that includes cumin, oregano, cayenne and chili powder since the former are the primary constituents of chili powder. I'm probably borderline irrational about this. (Maybe over the border. )

Since I've been smoking, I have always made my own rubs. I'll use stuff like fresh garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme when they're in season along with store bought powdered ingredients. (When I can, I use whole spices and grind them in a repurposed coffee grinder instead of spices that are bought powdered.)

Sometimes I find a recipe that someone has suggested and use it or tweak it. I don't always include salt and/or sugar either.

Nor will I claim that my concoctions are any better than what can be purchased commercially. They probably are not, but they are mine.

Nevertheless, this thread has me wondering about what I might be missing by not trying some of the commercial rubs. Thanks all for the recommendations you have put in this thread. I'm going to purchase some and give them a shot. At the very least I might get some flavor ideas that I can then then incorporate into my own rubs.

(*) Last time I was there, my son still did not have a welding cart. Not to imply that he's lazy as nothing could be further from the truth. He needed to move for a job promotion a couple years ago and due to the state of the housing market, he kept the house they were living in and bought a repo in the new location that he stripped to the studs and refurbished in spare time after work and on weekends.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Well.....it worked.

On the BigPoppaSmoker website, I have sitting in the cart three different rubs (I'm just waiting on my wife to tell me which method of payment I should use).

Here's what I'm buying:
- 3 Eyz Rub 1 pound bag
- Money Rub 14oz

I chose these based partially on what was said in this thread, but also what I've heard from y'all on this site.
Not sure if you can still but the slap to daddy chicken rub is fantastic and would go well with the ones you are getting.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #54
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Not sure if you can still but the slap to daddy chicken rub is fantastic and would go well with the ones you are getting.
"No", for two reasons.
#1 - I've already "pushed the button"
#2 - I spent $45 (with shipping). I don't think buying more will pass the WAF.

When I burn through what I bought, and go back for more, I'll try your suggestion.
Thank you!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #55
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well.....it worked.

Here's what I'm buying:
- 3 Eyz Rub 1 pound bag
- Money Rub 14oz

Used 2 of the 3. Your gonna love them. Let us know what you think!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #56
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
"No", for two reasons.
#1 - I've already "pushed the button"
#2 - I spent $45 (with shipping). I don't think buying more will pass the WAF.

When I burn through what I bought, and go back for more, I'll try your suggestion.
Thank you!
You will be happy with your choices!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #57
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Glad to hear guys, thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #58
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i like to make my own rubs but i understand if you are short on time buying commercial ones.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #59
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Did you use the free shipping over 40.oo at BPS
For Accessories, Rubs, Sauces, Pellets and Apparel shipping is 9.95 for orders under 39.99 and free on orders of 40.00 or more when shipped within the continental US

Just trying to decide what to try,

Thinking about 3 eyz, smoking guns and replenish my big brothers cherry rub
Anything else i should try?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #60
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Did you use the free shipping over 40.oo at BPS
No....I didn't see that.
The spices were $34(ish) and the shipping was another $10.

EDIT: In hindsight, I could have bought another six or eight dollar shaker and been about even. crap.