MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Default UDS Lid help

Any idea how to get the lid off cleanly??? Previous drums I had they took it off for me and rolled the top of the drum. Any help is always appreciated.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Carefully grind on the top of that lip. The top will fall in the drum. Use a angle grinder and a soft disc. Matter of fact somebody just posted pictures of these discs yesterday, I believe. There are several ways to do this, but this is my preferred method.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I used an old wood chisel to cut the top. Took about 10 minutes and used an angle grinder to smooth out the edges.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade the I laid the drum on its side over a piece of carpet and took a hammer to fold the lip flat. It worked well and didn't take long.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

3/4" cold chisel and hammer works great, and is pretty fast. Just remember to wear ear protection, it gets loud.

Use it like a can opener, slightly angle chisel so it's not punching through but cutting, and angle the chisel blade towards outside of drum to get as close a cut as possible.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Air hammer with a chisel bit. Take your time and it will cut pretty clean.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
funugy
Take a breath!

I used my sawzall and cut right up against the lip, then broke the sharp edges with my angle grinder. Took about 10 min in all. It actually took me longer taking out my tools and setting up than the work did.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Thx fellas.... If I cut it from the top, how am I going to be able to use the lid???
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Thx fellas.... If I cut it from the top, how am I going to be able to use the lid???
You don't, you borrow the lid from your kettle...:)))

Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
You don't, you borrow the lid from your kettle...:)))
Yep.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
knakker123
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This is how i did it. My english is a bit rusty but i`ll try to explain. This took me a while (about 30 minutes) but had a nice result. The lid of my barrel was curved around the cilinderend of the barrel . So i used my angle grinder with a fairly rough flap disc to grind off just a mm orso (sorry idk inches) from that `curve` at the side of the barrel.(just the lid layer) The lid came off clean and a perfecly flat barrelcilindertop remained. Carefull! The lid has razor sharp edges when it comes of.
knakker123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knakker123 View Post
This is how i did it. My english is a bit rusty but i`ll try to explain. This took me a while (about 30 minutes) but had a nice result. The lid of my barrel was curved around the cilinderend of the barrel . So i used my angle grinder with a fairly rough flap disc to grind off just a mm orso (sorry idk inches) from that `curve` at the side of the barrel.(just the lid layer) The lid came off clean and a perfecly flat barrelcilindertop remained. Carefull! The lid has razor sharp edges when it comes of.
Yeah I've done the same thing too. And no kidding the edge is like a razor! But it will work.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ View Post
Air hammer with a chisel bit. Take your time and it will cut pretty clean.
Second this emotion!

Don't forget the soon to be patented "swamprb flange mod"!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Swamp, I've been eyeballing my kettle bottom everytime I walk past it. Especially seeing as how I've got massive amounts of grease leaking down my closed top drum. What would you suggest cutting it with? Jig saw?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
Swamp, I've been eyeballing my kettle bottom everytime I walk past it. Especially seeing as how I've got massive amounts of greasing leaking down my closed top drum. What would you suggest cutting it with? Jig saw?
Rotary cut off wheel!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->