MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Default meat grinding technique

I have a KitchenAid mixer attachment, the meat grinder. I use it to grind all kinds of meat. When I grind raw meat with it I have often gotten splatters of blood or juice all around the machine, necessitating laborious cleanup. The other day, though, I had to grind some pork and I had a little piece of shoulder in the freezer. I took it out and let it thaw a few hours. Still nowhere near thawed, I hacked it into chunks so the extra surface area would help it thaw quicker.

I decided to try grinding it still a bit frozen. Guess what? No spatter at all! The same recipe called for ground beef too. I had some nice beef chunks I'd previously frozen and thawed, and they were looking mighty juicy and splattery. So I layed them out on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the freezer until they were about half frozen and ground them. Again, no mess at all!

So if you've had trouble with messy meat grinding, try slightly freezing the chunks before grinding. Worked for me!
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Glad you found out about this tip. I always recommend grinding meat partially frozen. As the grinder will heat up the meat and you always want to practice good food safety.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Good advice!

I have a tor-rey grinder that is all metal and I'll put the grinder parts in the freezer an hour or so before starting. Then I slice the meat into strips and partially freeze it. Makes a big difference in the grind quality.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

I think the meat grinder instructions say to use partially frozen meat.

I have hte kitchen aid as well as a larger grinder. I've read that in some instrustions, but can't remember which ones.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

another good method (if working with meat right out of the fridge) is to drape a small piece of plastic wrap around the end of the grinder. It contains all the splatter very well & doesn't disrupt the process
Zippylip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Just make sure the meat isn't too frozen. I nearly burned up the motor in my Kitchenaid one time because of that.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like the meat to be almost frozen and I use metal bowls that have been sitting in the freezer for holding the meat that is to be ground as well as the meat that has been ground. Ground meat is where you run the risk of nasties sprouting and it's good to keep everything cold while grinding meat, making sausage, etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

Just about all the directions for sausage making includes partially freezing the meat before grinding

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Good advice!

I have a tor-rey grinder that is all metal and I'll put the grinder parts in the freezer an hour or so before starting. Then I slice the meat into strips and partially freeze it. Makes a big difference in the grind quality.
x 2 I always put grinder parts in freezer for half hour and partially freeze cut up meat. grinds easier and keeps it cool without fear of spoilage etc.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote