The Official 2010 Thanksgiving Turkey Cost Comparison

Haven't really paid attention. Got a butterball whole breast a couple months back that was on sale that's been in the freezer waiting. Kroger has Honeysuckle for 39 cents with an additional 10 dollar purchase I think. I did get a nice 5 pound duck last week for $1.99/lb. Got two corned beefs on sale too to make pastrami with. Didn't even look at the turkeys...

Here in Houston they've got the typical deals on Jennie-o but the one that caught my eye yesterday was the .97/pound fresh at Kroger, which is about what I expect to pay based on past experience.

I got a fresh all natural butter ball at the local grocery store today for $2.29lb. Went to Costco later today to get my peanut oil for the fryer for Thursday and just had to go take a look in the meat department to see what they had. I'll be damned it was $.99 lb for the same bird! :doh:
Costco here had Butterballs minimally processed with less than 5% water retained, for $0.99/lb; picked me up a 19 and 13 pounder.

I bought several of those from Costco since I'm smoking for a BIG family. As far as "5% water"...can I brine those? Last year I brined a turkey that I later found out had "up to 15% solution" already. It was SALTY. Don't want to make the same mistake this year.

Been looking everywhere down here, cheapest I can find is about $45 pesos/kilo (about $1.75 +- per lb) They have a huge market here where I can get one fresh for not much more( about $60 pesos per kilo) so I think that's what I will end up doing.

.27 per lb with a 20.00 dollar purchase here. I got 3 cause i like to do one for Christmas and they are never on sale then.Also this year the in-laws are coming for New Years weekend and i can feed 'em for cheap :laugh:

$.29 per pound at various places here in Richmond, VA. Freezer has a couple: 14 pounds and 16 pounds. Neither will be thawed for Thanksgiving. A buddy is bringing over a fresh bird Wednesday evening from his farm. I can't wait!

$.29 per pound at various places here in Richmond, VA. Freezer has a couple: 14 pounds and 16 pounds. Neither will be thawed for Thanksgiving. A buddy is bringing over a fresh bird Wednesday evening from his farm. I can't wait!

I have never been blessed with the farm fresh experience but I would bet that one decapitated the day of would be impossible to beat...

Here in hawaii, we pay an arm and a leg for groceries, but this year a local store had Norbest turkey...Toms...for 2.99 lb. a bird up to 16 lbs. anything over was 3.49 for the whole bird.

In Michigan the best deal I found (and I didnt look to hard) was .49/lb with an additional $10.00 purchase at Krogers.

Went the all natural route the last few years and didnt see a big enough difference to pay $2.00 more per pound...

That's what I found too. I already have my birds, but I'm going tomorrow and picking up a couple for the freezer.

Back