My first ribs on a Traeger

BrisketBelly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've only done ribs a few times and they never came out the way I wanted them to. So, after reading multiple posts, judging KCBS, watching a competition team and even learning from the Pitmasters TV show, I gave it another shot. I bought a Traeger this year and had success with a pork butt. My family bugged me to do ribs, so I had at it, following everything I've learned. I gotta tell ya, they came out as well as I could have hoped. Thanks to the brethren for posting here and showing a newbie how to get it done. A special shout out to 3Eyz BBQ as I am using their rub for everything lately. It tastes great on grilled corn!. Here are my photos from the cook:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 334
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 332
How long did you smoke the ribs before wrapping? Did you put the Honey/Brown Sugar/Parkay on both sides of the ribs before wrapping or just on the meat side. When you placed the ribs back on the smoker did you put them bone down in the foil? How long did you cook them in the foil. I am still trying to perfect my rib process and enjoy seeing what others are doing. They look great!!!

How long did you smoke the ribs before wrapping? Did you put the Honey/Brown Sugar/Parkay on both sides of the ribs before wrapping or just on the meat side. When you placed the ribs back on the smoker did you put them bone down in the foil? How long did you cook them in the foil. I am still trying to perfect my rib process and enjoy seeing what others are doing. They look great!!!

2.5 hours smoke at 225 bone down
yes, i put the honey, etc. on both sides before wrapping
meat side down while in foil
1.5 hours in foil
then about an hour out of the foil sauced

One of my favorite sauces, I use it on almost everything.

Thanks BriskeyBelly for the post and for sharing your method. I appreciate it very much and I am going to try this method the next time I somke ribs which will probably be next weekend if not before.

No idea what they tasted like, But, Oh Man, are those GREAT pics.

They look wonderful!! Next time, invite some of us over and we can REALLY evaluate them.
Nice Job!!!!!!

Nice job:clap2:, thanks for posting, I kinda do the same, but not as long out of the foil. I'm going to give it a try, thanks again.:-D

Do you have a traeger with the 6 option thermostat? which setting did you have it on? when you go to 225 does yours hold consistent on that? Everytime I try to run at 225 it always seems to run up ~300.

Do you have a traeger with the 6 option thermostat? which setting did you have it on? when you go to 225 does yours hold consistent on that? Everytime I try to run at 225 it always seems to run up ~300.

check you "P" setting http://http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=5060.0 I have the old 180 digital on my Traeger so I have a dial on the back but this should help you out. the higher the number the cooler it will run, factory is P2 if i remeber right, but depending on the climat you may have to change it, look for a pin whole under the display on your traeger if theirs not one you will have to remove the thermostat and switch it on the back remember to unplug it if you have to remove the controller or you could pop a fuse :doh:

Back