• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hangin some wings on UDS

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Fired up the UDS and hung a few wings for combo dinner and save some for this weekend's camping trip.
Half with DP Raging River and half with a poultry blend. Two hours at about 275 on the drum and we hit 191.
Strange thing was that almost all the wings were right side wings? All our of the same package (Costco) and only about 5 our of 30 wings were lefties. Guess that's about average anyway.
Very tasty but would like skin a little more crispy.
Was pleased with the hanging bars. Put them in when I built the drum and this is the first time I've really used them other than arm-pit holders for beer can turkey.

Attachments

• Drum wings 1.JPG
    Drum wings 1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Drum wings 2.JPG
    Drum wings 2.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 315
  • Drum wings 3.JPG
    Drum wings 3.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 313
Nice looking wings you've got there. One question though off subject, what does the lid of your UDS look like? I'm looking for ideas on lid design on the UDS I'm making.

sf, are those actually skewered or are they just sitting on the bar? Looks pretty good from here bro.

Nice looking wings you've got there. One question though off subject, what does the lid of your UDS look like? I'm looking for ideas on lid design on the UDS I'm making.

I use a Weber lid that I found on a dog walk to finish the UDS.

sf, are those actually skewered or are they just sitting on the bar? Looks pretty good from here bro.

They're just hanging. I slit the skin between the forearm and upper arm (bicep) to get a better hang. And the foil around the bars is rough and helps hold them.

Have you hung any ribs or a brisket?

That was the thought when I put the hanging bars in the UDS but I haven't done it yet. I'd like to do some hanging meats but will have to learn.

I a little afraid of losing the meat into the bottom of the drum!

Any ideas or thoughts?

UDS is still alive!!

After shutting down the UDS last night at about 7:00pm I went out this morning to put it away and it was still burning and at 150* !

Go figure :shock:.

I checked all the openings and all closed up. Where is the air coming from?

I also like the skin on my wings a little crispy, so I smoke them at about 325 - 350.

Nice looking wings!

Here it is :roll::roll::roll::

picture.php

Those are some fine looking wings, BTW. I've decided to mod my existing UDS and get it exactly right before I build a second one. The hanging bars are a nice touch.

Last edited:
After shutting down the UDS last night at about 7:00pm I went out this morning to put it away and it was still burning and at 150* !

Go figure :shock:.

I checked all the openings and all closed up. Where is the air coming from?
I'm thinking from the intake(s).

Those look good and I like the hanging bars idea, those would be handy.

Here it is :roll::roll::roll::

picture.php

Those are some fine looking wings, BTW. I've decided to mod my existing UDS and get it exactly right before I build a second one. The hanging bars are a nice touch.

Okay...you got me! It's still a Weber Kettle. Nice move!

They were all from the same side (probably) because the machine in a poultry processing plant that creates full wing sections also cuts the breast in half. Then the breast halves and wings go down a conveyor belt with people on both sides. Some of those people pack split breasts and some of them pack wings. Why you get wings from the same side is when the breast is split there's a piece of delrin (plastic) that forces the chicken closer to the edges so it's easier (and faster) to grab and pack by the employees. Since it's real easy to split them right after cutting, one side of the packing line gets the right side and one side of the line gets the left. The odd ones were probably from someone trying to finish a pack quickly to start on the next one.

And before you ask, yes, I've worked in there (part of the engineering team), on that line (as well as all others in a poultry plant), and helped trouble shoot the machine as well as make design improvements.

They were all from the same side (probably) because the machine in a poultry processing plant that creates full wing sections also cuts the breast in half. Then the breast halves and wings go down a conveyor belt with people on both sides. Some of those people pack split breasts and some of them pack wings. Why you get wings from the same side is when the breast is split there's a piece of delrin (plastic) that forces the chicken closer to the edges so it's easier (and faster) to grab and pack by the employees. Since it's real easy to split them right after cutting, one side of the packing line gets the right side and one side of the line gets the left. The odd ones were probably from someone trying to finish a pack quickly to start on the next one.

And before you ask, yes, I've worked in there (part of the engineering team), on that line (as well as all others in a poultry plant), and helped trouble shoot the machine as well as make design improvements.

Ch!t, too bad we can't get the brisket assembly line to work like that.....

Okay, I'll go to bed now.

looks good!
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Back