MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Default pulled brisket????

A friend of mine just opened a bar. In the walk-in freezer he ran across two of the nastiest (in terms of the cut) briskets I have ever seen. He wants me to cook them so they will pull. I'm assuming that's possible - I've overcooked a brisket or two - but I've never actually done it and I want to make sure I get it right. Is it enough to simply over cook them like pork butt? Then just shred?

I did a search and didn't come up with anything obvious, so sorry if this is redundant. I saw DMDon's thread but didn't want to jack it (the thread, I mean).

Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yup, but it helps to have a moisturing agent for the process (I use the leftovers of my injection).

YMMV!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can use a beef broth and fruit juice injection as well.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Yup, but it helps to have a moisturing agent for the process (I use the leftovers of my injection).

YMMV!
It's "moisturizing". I thought your jar of facial cream would have the correct spelling for you.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. That's what I figured but I thought I'd check just in case I was missing something

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
landarc

I see this out here fairly often, they call it falling off the bone tender. I am not sure what bone a brisket is attached to though.

What I see done fairly often is that the brisket is smoked almost to done, then dunked into beer and braised until stringy. It is actually then served after draining.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

If my name is gonna be associated with the food I would make sure it was good meat not just bad cuts. That's just me

Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I used to have lots of experience with chopped brisket. We never took the temp of it and just cooked it until it wanted to fall apart. The final product was mixed with a little sauce...and was actually pretty good.

If you want to pull it, I might would foil it somewhere around 160-170 and take it up to 200. That would probably steam it enough to pull. The problem, as I see it (and don't forget that this is just a guess on my part), is that by pulling you'll end up with stringy beef. I don't like stringy with beef or pork. Chopping seems like a better idea (to me).

Chopping doesn't have to mean minced...you control the cleaver or knife. It is entirely possible to chop to a "pulled" consistency.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
dkruks
Knows what a fatty is.

My goodness...I think I just had a revelation...(super newbie here) so forgive me...so in order to have a meat (pull) it must reach a temp of 190 to 200F...you have no idea how much money I have spent on meat trying to get a pulled pork or beef...this site rocks...If I understand, smoke until meat reaches 160F, then wrap in foil and continue to raise temp until 190-200F...is it important for the meat to rest before you pull, or can you pull it right away?

I feel a bit like Einstien...(a light just turned on)

Dave
dkruks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
It's "moisturizing". I thought your jar of facial cream would have the correct spelling for you.
Bite me, Farker