MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

View Poll Results: Who should win the BBQ Brethren "SPECIAL - My California BBQ" Throwdown?
bigabyte 13 26.53%
Gore 16 32.65%
JiveTurkey 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up ***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "SPECIAL - My California BBQ" Throwdown - VOTE***

It is time to decide the winner of the "SPECIAL - My California BBQ" Throwdown!

The winner will be announced after the poll closes on Saturday 3/8.

Click Here to go to the Throwdown thread, or click on the person's name for more pics/info on the entries.

bigabyte
#1 - California MOINK Ball Wrap - $5
All great change in America begins at the dinner table. --Ronald Reagan
Four of our big, juicy, delicious 100% Beef meatballs wrapped with hickory smoked bacon and grilled to perfection with a delectably sweet and spicy glaze of smokey good BBQ sauce, all wrapped up in a bed of crisp, cool lettuce, vine ripened tomato and fresh sliced avocado, with mayonnaise and blue cheese crumbles. This wrap can tear down the walls of tyranny!

It's truly a delicious wrap, worthy of a landslide re-election. Sadly though, for some reason this restaurant does not succeed, despite a very loyal following of regular customers. It seems some local politicians did not like the atmosphere and changed the zoning laws.

Gore
Menu entry: California Pulled-Pork Avocado Sandwich: $8.95
Business Model: The restaurant California Dreamin' is a gourmet sandwich shop that embodies the California business model. We serve only the finest ingredients in our environmentally friendly sandwiches. There is no need for utensils as the sandwich can be eaten directly from the avocado skin. The avocados are grown on our own private farms and the trees are tended individually and watered with rainwater collected by hand. Because of this added care, the true cost is approximately $10,000 per avocado; however, because the operation is environmentally friendly, the state of California subsidizes all these costs.

Restaurant fate: Business became so brisk, that California Dreamin' soon opened up chains throughout the state. As each new chain opened, the state debt increased. However, after eating one of the Pulled-Pork Avocado Sandwiches, a California Scientist hit upon a Eureka moment. Returning to the laboratory, the scientist added a pork gene to an avocado plant and created the Money Tree.

JiveTurkey
Today's Dish: Cioppino
Price: $9.99 (Does not include fines and taxes)***
Description on Menu: Dungeness Crab Cioppino served with Sourdough Garlic Bread and Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
History: Cioppino is a San Francisco regional seafood dish started by Itialian fisherman in the late 1800's. The dish usually includes all sorts of seafood such as crab and shellfish in a tomato based sauce. Typically the words "cioppino" and "barbecue" rarely go together but if there is one thing us Californian's like to do (besides drive 100mph through school zones) it is taking a perfectly delicious dish and finding a way to make it even better with live fire! With the beautiful weather and abundance of seafood I felt there was nothing better to represent California in a throwdown than Cioppino! Welcome to my new restaurant, have a seat, and your dinner with be served shortly.

Your Receipt:
Cioppino: 9.99
*** Required State Taxes and Fees
Sales Tax: $5.32
Recycle Fee: $7.22
Sustainability Fee: $17.89
Environmental Defense Fee: $12.11
Parking Meter Fee: $14.99
Prius Owners Subsidy: $16.27
Hazardous Smoke Fine: 3.99
CARB Fee: $7.55
Cap and Trade Fee: $2.73
Union Tax (even though we're not union): $6.84
Food that is not good for you tax: $3.71
Your Total: 108.61
Sorry Cash Only.
Thank you and Come Again!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

I closed my eyes and voted...I'd eat all 3 but could only afford the first one :)

ETA-yay this post made me a "Chatty Farker"!!!
Carry on...
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Can I vote twice?
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Had to go with Chris been eyeing that one for a while Great Job Guys
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
deguerre

Chris, you may finally have a winner there. That's a helluva wrap!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

jive turkry got it going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
leanza
Babbling Farker

Lovely esoteric dishes. My dilemma resided in the fact that I hate anything from San Francisco but am devoted to all thing Italianio. My vote Cioppino.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

@GORE... Rainwater collected by hand? I still would not buy it, the trees were not groomed and massaged by little attractive 5'2" massage therapists.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

All great food. Well done. JiveTurkey's entry made me laugh, especially the receipt.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Gore's is the best looking but the menu descriptions posted by both Gore and JiveTurkey (the name says it all) are so full of biosolids that I voted for bigabyte.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

For some strange reason, Chris' picture has disappeared. Personally, I like this one better:

I would also like to air a few criticisms on another entry in this throwdown:

1. I believe only in California can pulled pork, sharp cheese and avocado taste good together;
2. Sandwiches are made with BREAD;
3. It's a nice idea to eat this without utensils, but the skin on an avocado is hardly bite-through;
4. While a good many people think a money tree is sound fiscal policy, similar schemes have shown otherwise;
5. I don't think unicorns really exist;
6. While Santa Claus does exist, I don't think he's going to be moving to Sacramento and I don't think California labor laws would allow him to work every day.

That being said, I really had to vote for Bigabyte for combining the elements of "California and BBQ" as I imagined them in this throwdown.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

OK, let me try to explain this once again, since some of you apparently were not listening : pulled pork, avocado, and sharp cheddar cheese do NOT go well together, unless, perhaps, you are from California. "B" is not an option. Select "A" or "C," please.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
OK, let me try to explain this once again, since some of you apparently were not listening : pulled pork, avocado, and sharp cheddar cheese do NOT go well together, unless, perhaps, you are from California. "B" is not an option. Select "A" or "C," please.
Shamelessly posturing for votes again, eh? Well, two can play that game.

Wraps do not mix well with MOINK Balls. In fact, they are downright horrible. If you had any sense of taste at all, you would not vote for "A", but for "B" (which looks very yummy) or for "C" (also yummy).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

How can it possibly be called a sandwich without bread? I think even in California, sandwiches have bread, in fact, I think there're about 17 laws requiring sandwiches to have bread. Definitely should've been DQ'ed. Incidentally, I'd be all over that wrap.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
bigabyte

I would like to point out that the wrap, while labeled a "California Wrap", did not contain any sprouts of any kind. Any self-respecting person would disqualify that entry immediately, which (I fell) should call into question the integrity of the so called "Throwdown Moderator" this place has.

I think all from avocado-land would agree that a "double-down" version of a pulled-pork and cheese sandwich so oozes with California essence that it should have simply been declared the outright winner right away.

I tell ya, these things are RIGGED!

Duh.