Best lump charcoal

I Like Fronteir it seems to burn a long time and not much ash

Well after this weekend and alot of smoking for the holiday i would 1 have to agree that cowboy lump is the worst stuff out there. So much of the bag was unusable and it burnt really fast, except a few pieces that wouldnt burn at all. I had a bag of best of the west oak lump, half the size of the cowboy and i got more time out of it. Thecowboy also popped alot. Going to try the royal oak, and might get some wicked good, they dont sell it near here, get somewhere they do ill stock up

I have tried most of the charcoal that had been named in this thread. My experience overall is that you get what you pay for.

My go to charcoal after several years of trying and trying different charcoals I have come across... Wicked good. Reliable, smells great, tastes great, long burning, low ash.

I like green egg, b&b, royal oak, and maple leaf. I pass on most of the others now.

So. I'm quite happy this thread came along. I must admit to having used cowboy lump before. I was always a bit disappointed in the small pieces falling through the grates, onto the ground, into my ash catchers, etc.
I looked at the naked whiz site and was thoroughly convinced to try something new.
I looked for Grove charcoal around town. I called a small meat market/grocery store and asked what they carried. "Grove, and Nature Glo" came the reply. I'm a happy man. I tried the NG which was 16 bucks for 20 lbs.
I'm more than happy with it. I'm going to try Grove too, but not till this stuff is gone.
I would hereby like to announce my official retiring of the Cowboy Lump on a permanent basis. I have seen the light, I curse the darkness that is Cowboy.

bag43s.jpg

Oooh! I almost forgot! This is going to sound quite snobbish, but that's how it goes sometimes.

After trying the natures glo for a few cooks I threw my last half bag of cowboy lump into the fire pit. No More!!

I use Maple Leaf, although lately I've been finding more smaller and smaller pieces in the bags, but it's sold everywhere up here.

The best I've used so far is Hasty Bake lump. The bag has very little dust and most pieces are medium to large in size. It burns hot and long. This lump is packaged at the same plant as Ozark Oak. Not cheap though, goes for about $11 per 8lb bag.

Recently used best of the west for the first time. I really liked it. It was cheaper than w bags of kingsford at sams club.40 pound bag I will buy again

Best I have used is Wicked Good, but I only got it one time due to cost and availability.

B&B is my second favorite, and is sold at Academy.

Another good one that few know about is Nature's Grilling. They sell it ay Winn Dixie but the bags are kinda small.

Other than that I really like R.O. which can be easily had at Wal-Mart.

whatever i can get my hands on. not a lot of choices here. usually its ro so not that bad at all.

I was going to ask this question but found this older post

I have been using Primo lump, mainly because it is Amazon Prime and had a pretty good review on naked whiz . Would like some opinions on that. I use a Vision Kamado and mainly have been smoking pork butts and grilling steaks.

What else are you using?

Another vote for wicked good here...I usually buy a bag when I have some extra cash, because it's crazy expensive. Otherwise I use Royal Oak.
Cowboy is the crackerjack of lump...you know you're going to get a prize, but you're not going to like it.

Been using Royal Oak (from walmart). Last clean out of my ash pan I noticed I had 4 or 5 small rocks (chunks of concrete). Kind of surprised, first form of debris I have found in Royal Oak.

Eyeing that wicked good lump deal (110lbs for 90ish)

I've only used Wicked Good, Royal Oak and Lazzari. I rate them in the same order. I've read great things about Ozark, but have yet to see it in California.

Back