MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
1130home
Knows what a fatty is.

Default i really need all this to vend at farmers market

I got all info from HD.Sinks...certified kitchen...what do I really need Our market has not yet started but am trying to get ducks in a row. what can I cook on and where.the others at the market do not have sinks and suchthanks

Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would go back to the HD and ask for clarification and get it in writting... They are the ones that could shut you down quickly...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Bigmista

Regs vary from County to County but I need all of that and more here in Cali. You have to jump through the hoops to get in but once you are in, they rarely re-check you. Doesn't mean you don't have to be prepared though.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba

I'm thinking you have a LOT more homework to do.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When I asked about working a spot at one farmers market they told me there wasn't room for catering food as it would take away from the trade inside the mall. Then I was advised that the person there is currently selling grilled sausages was doing it along with selling packaged meet from their farm. I asked if I could sell nuts and bolts along with BBQ and they said yes.

You have to get everything in writing and ask the right questions sometimes.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
1130home
Knows what a fatty is.

that much is true. this is where I am starting. any threads that help. I checked the getting started thread. if your trailer is fully equiped, can you use it as your "kitchen"? I have a triple sink from an old Hot Sam's Pretzel shop and two 5 foot ss prep tables among other commercial kitchen equip. Point the right direction.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Big is right you need to have everything thay want. HD givith and HD WILL take away. also watch for the county tax man... he might stop by to...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

1.) What kind of food are you going to vend?
2.) If it's BBQ what will you be cooking it in and will it pass a HD inspection?
3.) How are you going to keep your cold items cold and hot items hot? (i.e. proper HD temps)
4.) Where will the prep work for the food take place? On site or somewhere else?
5.) Has your trailer passed a HD inspection?
6.) Where will you purchase the food to cook and how will it be stored till it is prepped?
(In Ohio you can't store it in your home in ANY fashion, freezer, fridge or otherwise.
Not even just overnight. It has to be trasnported directly from the point of sale
to the site of cooking in HD approved transport equipment)

Just a FEW of the questions the HD will have for you.

My advice is to go to the HD and sit down with someone and tell them what you want to do
and ask them what the requirements will be for your area.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]

Last edited by ZBQ; 03-31-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: typos and clarification
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

It's a pain in the butt but once you get everything in line and have a good relationship with your contact at HD it's smooth sailing. I'm Neil's official hoop jumper. After going to the HD office a few times now all I have to do is mail in my app with a certified check or money order and wait for my slip. If I mail late I give her a call and ask her to fax me a copy before she mails and the markets accept it.

Right now we're dealing with weights and measures because we want to sell by the pound. Not only do you have to have the proper scale (which rounds at least $250) you have to have a sticker on it from W&M.

Ah, the joys of having your own business!!!!
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Like everyone says, go talk to the HD, they are really there to help and you will be surprised at how helpful most of them are. That is where I would start, set aside some time and make an appointment with an Inspector and pick his/her brain.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote