Best lump charcoal

tmehlhorn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok so what do you think the BEST LUMP charcoal is. Been trying out more and more of it for awhile now. Used alot of cowboy charcoal which seemed pretty good, but everyone says it sucks. So enlighten me.

My entry of what ive used so far would be

Best of the west Oak lump charcoal.

What say ye brethern

Maple Leaf lump.

Can't get it in the States anymore (I don't think), but I ordered a couple of bags once, and it was like being in heaven when you burned it. Made only of Maple, Beech, and Birch.

Best.Lump.Ever.

Best I've used is Ozark Oak and Real Montana. Problem is that they're not available in my area and I'm not gonna pay the $ to get it online, so I've been using Royal Oak and it's been fine. I've had good luck with B&B oak lump as well, but where I get it it's a more pricey than I like to pay. I use the RM maple lump for when I need high heat quickly (like when I wake up and my fire's about out :shocked:) so I make sure I always have some of that around for those kinds of situations.

Ozark Oak is very good. Royal Oak (Made in the USA) is good too.

Have you seen the lump charcoal review database on nakedwhiz's site?

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is wicked good and wicked expensive. I not use RO lump exclusively.

I like good one lump a lot. Burns hot and has very little waste. The chunks are pretty good size as well. I tried Cowboy last weekend and it was horrible in comparison. Pittiful little chunks and seemed to have a lot of waste!

I like good one lump a lot. Burns hot and has very little waste. The chunks are pretty good size as well. I tried Cowboy last weekend and it was horrible in comparison. Pittiful little chunks and seemed to have a lot of waste!

Yea i guess i have noticed that about cowboy, few very huge pieces, bunches of small stuff that falls trough grate and not much of the good stuff. This oak lump i bought is better, way more expensive. But when i count the waste of cowboy and how well this burns i wonder if it is really that much more expensive?

I haven't used too many different brands, but I stick to Wicked Good Weekend Warrior now. I will still use Royal Oak on occasion if I can get the bigger bags, too many crumbs in the small bags from Wal-Mart.

I use Nature Glow. It is Royal Oaks food service lump. It has a ton of huge pieces and burns for a long time. It gets a 'highly recommended' rating from Naked Whiz. The food company I work for sells it, and I pay $13 for a 20 lb bag. If I'm out and need some, I buy royal oak at Walmart or Menards.

Another vote for Wicked Good Weekend Warrior when I do use lump. I normally just use wood logs, but i like to change it up from time to time.

ROYAL OAK, ROYAL OAK, ROYAL OAK. Yes even the stuff from Paraguay. Don't beleive me. PM me your address and I'll send you a bag. (The offer is for tmelhorn wiseguys).

bag49s.jpg

Per NW: "[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]As for burntime, this charcoal set a new Whiz world record, burning longer than any charcoal we have ever tested. Longer than Brassiero, longer than Kamado extruded coconut. The ash produced in our test burn was very low."

And it's local and plentiful :clap2:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

This is what I use from my local Publix store. No idea who makes or packages it for them. I like it OK. Better than most others available to me. About $5 for 8.8# bag.

Charcoal.jpg

I use Nature Glow. It is Royal Oaks food service lump. It has a ton of huge pieces and burns for a long time. It gets a 'highly recommended' rating from Naked Whiz. The food company I work for sells it, and I pay $13 for a 20 lb bag. If I'm out and need some, I buy royal oak at Walmart or Menards.

+1 on Nature Glow. I get the 40# bag at Berger Bros., a charcoal distributer in Chicago, for about $20. :cool:

another vote for Maple Leaf. It is the best. When I go to Canada, I bring back several bags - available at Rona, a sort of Canadian Home Depot.

I just discovered GFS (Gordon Food Service) lump. I've read it's food service quality Royal Oak. Lots of big chunks. Lots.

Cowboy is junk. I wouldn't use it to line a cat box.

+1 for Good One. Best of any that I have tried. I've never found rocks, wire or other debris in the bag like many of the other brands.

Back