Frozen Brisket

Cahusky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just realized I had a lovely 12lb brisket on the bottom of my freezer that I didn't know was there. Will it still be good after a year in the deep freeze? I never leave anything in the freezer for that long (on purpose) and have no idea of its effect.

I grew up on the farm and we would have a couple cows and pigs slaughtered whenever we got low on meat. I know there had been times we pulled out meat that was in the deep freeze for a few years and was just fine.

If it was properly wrapped it will be good. I had some beef that was tightly wrapped on butcher paper for 20 years and 2 moves and it was good.

Food safety wise it should be ok. Taste wise might be a different story depending on how it was frozen. I hope others will chime in. I still have a frozen turkey from November that I just found in the deep freeze.

Go for it. It will only cost you some fuel and time. I'll bet it's almost as good as a fresh one.:clap2:

If it is not freezer burned, it will be fine. Can't say I've found something 20 years old in my freezer, but a few years old is nothing.

Well if it was 20 years old :shocked:...I think I'd trash it :decision:
If a couple years old it's probably ok. Defrost it and have a look.

I'd let it thaw slowly in a fridge and then trim the fat off, especially if it's a self defrosting freezer. Give it the smell test after trimming away any discolored meat. If the cryo didn't break you should be good to go.

:shocked:Cleaned out a deep freeze that was my grandmothers two years ago and found a Poke Butt from 1975!:shocked::tape:

Just cooked a pork loin that's been in the freezer since Dec of 2007 - tasted delicious, and i am still alive! :) I say you are fine.

Do not eat it!

This is a potentially dangerous situation. You should IMMEDIATELY send me the questionable brisket for further "analysis". I will do my testing, and if it seems ok to eat, I'll send it back. If it fails, I'll "dispose of it" appropriately.

Go ahead, you can thank me in advance.

:-D

Nope never opened it and it was wrapped in what to me looked like e reused brwn paper grocery bag.

Back