Build is done -

Two Bears

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My build is finally done (except for paint) and am going to fire it up and do an initial burn Saturday night then do the maiden cook on Sunday (doing 3 briskets, 1 pork butt, and a Beef Clod) .
This build was my winter project that took way longer than I wanted to - (Time and cash to do it all) but we made it to the end zone and now lets hope that she works as good as my mind thinks it will.

The smoker is a gravity fed over sized unit that is designed to do a lot of ribs if needed. She stands 6'4" tall and has a cook chamber 36"Wide X 30"Deep X 51"Tall and has 11 slide out racks.

I built a recessed compartment to house the GURU WIFI so it is out of sight. The air intake is under the cook chamber and is out of sight too.

It was a ton of work - way more than I anticipated it would be, you know how your mind thinks and percieves things then reality sets in and everything takes forever to get finished along with things not fitting and all of the monkeying around to fit things the way you want - well I am glad I am at the finish line. Now I have to gut and clean my garage since I seem to have destroyed it while building this smoker. :)

The link is to the whole build -

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/blackfoot123/slideshow/Clone build

Awsome build. Can't wait to see it in action!

Wow, that thing is massive.....quite the build, let us know how she cooks!

KC

Looks great! Sure it will be worth all of the work.

Cool build. Yep, they always end up being more work and time than anticipated. I like the compact design for how much cook surface you have.

Hey Two Bears, that thing looks like it could feed the Three Bears! Can't wait to see it in action.

Next time.........build a ....BIG ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!

Very Nice Indeed. I went through all the picture and i still don't understand the air flow from the firebox, I guess the enclosure that goes all the way to the top and the piece up top on the firebox side has me stumped a bit. Sorry no imagination here. Does the smoke just go in an L shape a foot above the firebox or is it making a U shape somewhere high up in there?

Very Nice Indeed. I went through all the picture and i still don't understand the air flow from the firebox, I guess the enclosure that goes all the way to the top and the piece up top on the firebox side has me stumped a bit. Sorry no imagination here. Does the smoke just go in an L shape a foot above the firebox or is it making a U shape somewhere high up in there?

The air intake is located under the cook chamber just above the wire mesh, It enters the ash box and flows through the fire box/grate and through the heat transfer tube. This smoker has a GURU on it with a 10 CFM fan attached to the air intake via a 2" ball valve, this is the only air the smoker gets. Should be pictures in the link that shows this

I got it fired up a bit ago and installed my BBQ GURU and probes. Yes it is raining but today is my only day to do this so up went the canopy.

I used my weed burner to burn the insides of the cooker out as well as the air intake, ash box. That was a good idea as it burned out the moisture from the metal and got it super hot inside - much hotter than heat from the firebox.

Now I am working on trying to set the GURU, it is running with cook chamber temp set and probes set but trying to figure out the rest of it and the WIFI too.

Also the question on grease dripping down the door from the racks or meat, The racks are 2" from the door surface so I shouldnt see dripping on the door BUT I am going to install a drip deflector near the bottom of the door and one on top of the smoker above the door so water wont drip down on the seal/gaskets.

The meat went on at 2:50pm the smoker ran great. Set her at 250 and seven hours later the 13lb brisket was at 203 by the GURU probe so I removed it and used a digital thermometer and it indeed was at 200 to 204.
15 min later the beef clod was at 202 so I pulled that both are resting before I pull them.

The pork butt is a bit behind at 185 so it will need some more time.

My number 2 probe seems to be 40 degrees lower than 1 and 2 probes so I will need to check that out to see if it is faulty or not.

So far this smoker seems to cook well when I checked the meat at 160 deg they looked fantastic so I can't wait to try each kind to see how they fare.

I was able to use a lot of hickory in the ash box and seemed to burn great.
Will get some pics when I get to pulling them.

Back