Brisket Burnt Ends question

B

bnew17

Im debating on whether to smoke my first brisket this weekend or not. I will already be smoking some chicken. I recently had my first Burnt End sandwich from a local place and i am HOOKED. Ive been doing some searching on here for more info on burnt ends but im a little confused. Does the "burnt ends" generally come from the point or the flat? Also does whichever piece you use, get cubed up entirely, and the entire piece be used for "burnt ends" ?

What do you do with the other part of the brisket while you are making the burnt ends?

let the remaining part of the brisket (the flat) rest in a cooler wrapped in foil and toils.

Typically burnt ends comes from the point because it is much fattier which allows for a juicier piece. The flat also makes for very uniform slices and is very lean so it is often used for slicing.

When the flat is done then I pull the entire thing off the smoker, seperate the point, cube it and place it in a foil pan. I apply more rub to the cubed point and add a little sauce, mix thoroughly and put it back in the smoker for another two hours. Good luck!

I make it with the point too. Cube it up, put it in a pan with drain holes, hit it with some rub, and smoke for another 2 to 4 hours (hitting with more rub and or sauce if you wish) until it is to your liking.

Cube it up, put it in a pan with drain holes...

Chris - I have never used one with drain holes and they have turned out great. Are you finding a great deal of fat rendering out and that's why you use drain holes? Maybe I can improve mine even more although I have never had an abundance of liquid in the foil pan when I am scooping the burnt ends out but I am always up for trying to make something better. Thanks

Do yal smoke the brisket as a whole until 160 and then separate? or can you separate it before and smoke the point and the flat separately?

I changed up the way I do them just a tad. I used to separate the point from the flat right away, but now I let it rest for about an hour before separating. I've never used drain holes either, mainly because I like to add lots of sauce.

So basically I do this:

Once the brisky is done, I let it rest, wrapped in a cooler for about an hour. Then I separate the point and the flat. The flat gets re-wrapped and back in the cooler.
IMG_0048.jpg

Cube the point:
IMG_0032.jpg

Place in a foil pan and mix in some rub and sauce:
IMG_0063.jpg

Smoke for 2 hours at around 300 degrees and serve:
IMG_0081.jpg

I changed up the way I do them just a tad. I used to separate the point from the flat right away, but now I let it rest for about an hour before separating. I've never used drain holes either, mainly because I like to add lots of sauce.

So basically I do this:

Once the brisky is done, I let it rest, wrapped in a cooler for about an hour. Then I separate the point and the flat. The flat gets re-wrapped and back in the cooler.
IMG_0048.jpg

Cube the point:
IMG_0032.jpg

Place in a foil pan and mix in some rub and sauce:
IMG_0063.jpg

Smoke for 2 hours at around 300 degrees and serve:
IMG_0081.jpg

M-M-M-M-M...beef candy.

Chuck

oh my!!! :clap2:

so you just put the cubes in the pan? no foil over the top?

Every time I serve burnt ends everyone wants to know why I can't make more of 'em out of the brisket. I have to explain that only a small part can be made into BE's.

Chuck

Chris - I have never used one with drain holes and they have turned out great. Are you finding a great deal of fat rendering out and that's why you use drain holes? Maybe I can improve mine even more although I have never had an abundance of liquid in the foil pan when I am scooping the burnt ends out but I am always up for trying to make something better. Thanks
Well, to be honest I do not use holes now, but that's because I trim the fat off the point a lot more now before chopping and putting them back on. Prior to doing that, I left all the fat on and I did not like the results because they would not firm up the way I liked when there was too much liquid on the bottom. So when asked, I tell people to use drain holes so it's kind of fool-proof that way.

Dave & Saiko...i can only hope my brisket comes out half as good as yalls look. Amazing. Will take pictures and post em up monday. Thanks for all the advice so far everybody!

Back