MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

at 275 for 3 hours, they were probably close to being perfectly done.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Bdub
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I do 2.5-1-.5 at 250ish but that just don't sound as good......
Same for me.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
SurrealOne
On the road to being a farker

+1 for what Smitty does. Sometimes I'll actually reverse sear them a bit and then throw them in a pan on the pit at 275 with some sauce, butter, ACV, and every now and then brown sugar...they turn out perfect every time.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

3-2-1 is sort of like the pirate code.. It's more like a set of guidelines..

That being said. I can't count the number of threads where people have overcooked their ribs trying this, or simply had a bad result. I always try to steer people away from getting in the habit of thinking they need to foil ribs for a good result. Simpler is better for me. No foil, no spritz, no mop, no peeking. Just cook 'em till they are done.

And that goes for country style ribs also. I just use a toothpick and my eyeballs to determine when they are "done"

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

That's right. How can one see what the meats doing if its wrapped in foil?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #21
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

+1 what El Ropo said.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #22
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
they were over-done.

My wife brought home some country style pork ribs. I was cooking two butts anyway and had room so I through them on too.

Smoker at 275. Ribs cooked for roughly 3 hrs, pulled and wrapped adding a little apple juice, a little brown sugar and a little butter. Back on for a little less than 2 hrs. Unwarpped dusted with rub, back on for less than an hour. They were over done for sure.

Should I have shortened the cook time because I had the smoker at 275*?

Help and info appreciated.
SC
3-2-1 sucks in my option. I like 2-2 or 2-1 a lot better. My ribs were way over done with the 3-2-1 cooking at 225-250.
Cobra7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

I've tried the "3-2-1" thing a couple of times just to see what all the hub bub was about, didn't care for it. When you cook meat in foil or a pan that you add liquid to, essentialy you are braising it (or boiling depending on the amount of liquid). For me, and this is personal preference, I like a caramelized layer of sauce and rub. You can't get that in 1 hour out of the foil after the meat has been "boiled". I start saucing about 2 hours in which is plenty of time for a good smoke ring. After that I sauce about every 45 mins to 1 hour until they are done. It can take anywhere from 4 to 7 hours depending on the size of the rack, fat content, how many you are cooking, lots of variables. Learn to cook to tenderness and try not to get hung up on times or even meat temperatures. As mentioned several times here, "it's a guide line".

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

First time cooking ribs I was glad to have a simple plan. Tried no wrap with perfect comp bite through results, and everyone that ate them wished they were more fall off the bone. After a couple other try's with variations,(time, temp) 3-1/2-1/2 @ 275* seems to be it for me. They fall off the bone not fall apart.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Just a FYI, you can easily get fall off the bone meat with better texture by leaving the foil in the pantry and leaving the cooker closed.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Yep. Wether or not they're falling off the bone depends on how long you cook them. Ain't got nothing to do with the foil. Foils for resting. Some of y'all most go through a ton of aluminum foil. I don't see how it could be worth the trouble.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Country style ribs aren't really ribs, therefore the 3-2-1 method doesn't apply.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Just a FYI, you can easily get fall off the bone meat with better texture by leaving the foil in the pantry and leaving the cooker closed.

How do you know when they are done if the cooker is closed?

Last edited by ironmanerik; 08-13-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: sp
ironmanerik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanerik View Post
How do you know when they are done if the cooker is closed?
The remote thermo .... oooooo yah!

I used to be a fall off the bone guy, but when I started doing a little competing I really felt like the ribs were "better" with a little more firmness to them. Bite through still means very tender IMHO. Like even old fogies with dentures should be able to bite through. (I'd like Deguerre to be able to enjoy my ribs if I ever had the opportunity to make some for him)
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's some 3-2-1 for you:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...32503611_o.jpg

Cooked at about 205-ish (according to my 4 dollar short-stub Char-grill thermometer) on my UDS on regular Kingson, with a couple of hickory chunks.

Made this morning. Brought in for lunch. I saved this for my supper tonight. Polish coleslaw, mashed potatoes, and baby backs. I'm known as the "rib guy" where I work. There are other people here that bbq (and they make some great Q!). The best compliment I've gotten here was from one of the guys here that's serious about it - he said "These are totally not at all how I would have done these and they're A+."

I effin love my UDS. You guys all rock for introducing me to the UDS, I was gonna waste money trying to BBQ with a couple of flower pots, per the Good Eats guy.

EDIT: I need to resize that thing!
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote