MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default First attempt of Jerky on a smoker PRON

I own a dehydrator and have had great success at Jerky on it...but,capacity is limited..Got the marination process down to dial in the flavor I like...but will see whats up with the Smoked approach :)

I keep it simple. Luckly here in TX we have most stores sell Milanesa which is a thin cut top sirloin that is already cut really thin..so I just slice it into pieces.

-Marinade with Worchester, soy sauce and raspberry chipotle over night

-Season with salt, pepper and brown sugar. I lay out the meat, season one side, put an empty rack on top of it and flip the whole thing over then season the other side.

BWS is sitting at 125 currently..Its holding very steady :)may pull it and toss it in the dehydrator after it gets good smoke..or may let it ride the whole way.. Regardless, will post pics in a few Hrs when its done!

Oak

ready

Sent from Galaxy tab

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looking great so far!! Hadn't thought to use Milanesa... dang that would save some time. Thanks!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

the milanesa I get at HEB is already so trimmed I rarely even have to trim any fat off...sliced about 1/4" already too...makes it so easy. I use to slice my own..but there is no need to...plus its a great cut. I like it better than flank for jerky.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post
the milanesa I get at HEB is already so trimmed I rarely even have to trim any fat off...sliced about 1/4" already too...makes it so easy. I use to slice my own..but there is no need to...plus its a great cut. I like it better than flank for jerky.
I've been stuffing and rolling the milanesa into logs before smoking. Will definitely give it a go for jerky. Thanks for the idea!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great thus far!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
coyotero
Knows what a fatty is.

Milanesa for jerky is great, but is even better if it was sliced across the grain, and it is not always the case.

JV
coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default here's mine...

and for the Jerks among us here's mine ...

Jerky-Sweet, Hot and Spicy!

2 - 3 lbs sirloin tip, cut in 1 inch wide 3/8 " thick strips
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2-3 shots of gin
2/3 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste.

Mix the onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper in a small bowl and season the meat strips with it and put in a lockable plastic container in the refrigerator.

Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, gin and red pepper flakes in a sauce pan-
heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. (add some water if needed)
Let cool slightly and then pour over the meat strips, mix well together so that the meat is well covered everywhere.

Close the container tightly and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days. Mix it up every once in a while to cover the meat well on all sides..

Take long metal skewers and skewer the top of the strips - make sure to hang and keep the strips separated from each other.

Hang the skewers in the smoker ( I use 2 wooden dowels placed in the Rack slides on the side of my smoker and hang the skewers crosswise on it) and smoke with Hickory or Pecan until the meat is dry. Let the meat cool off and Vacuum/Freeze until ready to use.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Wow that sounds great, hope it turns out well! Would love to try jerky sometime myself

Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

lookin good!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARNAAL View Post
and for the Jerks among us here's mine ...

Jerky-Sweet, Hot and Spicy!

2 - 3 lbs sirloin tip, cut in 1 inch wide 3/8 " thick strips
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2-3 shots of gin
2/3 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste.

Mix the onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper in a small bowl and season the meat strips with it and put in a lockable plastic container in the refrigerator.

Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, gin and red pepper flakes in a sauce pan-
heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. (add some water if needed)
Let cool slightly and then pour over the meat strips, mix well together so that the meat is well covered everywhere.

Close the container tightly and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days. Mix it up every once in a while to cover the meat well on all sides..

Take long metal skewers and skewer the top of the strips - make sure to hang and keep the strips separated from each other.

Hang the skewers in the smoker ( I use 2 wooden dowels placed in the Rack slides on the side of my smoker and hang the skewers crosswise on it) and smoke with Hickory or Pecan until the meat is dry. Let the meat cool off and Vacuum/Freeze until ready to use.
How long does it usually take and at what temp?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: First attempt of Jerky on a smoker PRON

While waiting...I decided I needed small chunks for jerky making(right) and smaller chunks all together now that igot the backwoods(left box)... here is my hitch vise set up

Swept up the saw dust... I'm thinking it may come in handy on those days when you neglect the fire and need some fire fast

Here is the final product. Pulled it from the smoker to the dehydrator. .. don't think it could of gotten any more smoke lol.. tastes great though.. those who don't like smoke won't like it, but I do (says the guy who is smoking pipe tobacco right now).

This is how I tell it is done. .when I can see through it. Happy with the final result. Next time I will probably smoke it for less time and move to the dehydrator faster.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Looking damn good. You've got the right chainsaw. We use them at work and they do the job very well.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
How long does it usually take and at what temp?
I run the smoker at ~ 220-250F;
3-4 hours depending how thick the strips are and how much beef I smoke in one run.
(I use a 2 door Master Forge gas smoker.)

After 2 1/2 hours I start checking how dry the strips are..

Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I coild eat some of that right now
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote