Sunday's Chow

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
OK, with folks like RTD and such on here, I don't post pron often...also because I'm usually too busy eating or fixing it to think about pron.

But had the cell phone with me last night and figured I'd snap a couple of dinner in the making

Picked up some 1" thick plus rib chops on the way home. Here they are heating up next to the asparagus
Chops1.jpg

Done! All we need's a little salad!
Chops2.jpg

Mixed up a little balsamic/lime vinagrette and tossed over some fresh
Mozzarella, little sweet onion and fresh tomato, with a little basil. I love summer! Nothing like fresh tomatoes!:-D
chops3.jpg

Looks great Dann!

I was learning fire control on the Egg (still haven't got it down yet) and threw some of those thick Costco 1" pork chops wrapped in bacon on. We were just finishing, and my daughter said we forgot to take pictures.

But I snapped one of the extra chop:
100_1641.jpg

Also had a couple fatties on first, one rolled in BBS's Simply Marvelous rub. Downside, Egg ran away to 650* in under 20 minutes, then took an hour + to get the temps down to 350*. Ended up burning the rub.

Oh well, the experiments are fun, and sometimes tasty!!

I try when cooking slow not to open the bottom vent more than about 1/2" Bill. I played with the egg a while to learn temp control, but it's not too difficult. Just don't open anything too wide unless you're doing steaks or pizza!

Just don't open anything too wide unless you're doing steaks or pizza!

I did have a brain cramp from doing pizza my last time out and it was indeed wide open bottom vent with daisy wheel completely off on top.

I'll get it eventually.

Thanks for the tip!!

Second thought, after I brought down the temps, I could not hold more than 250ish for 3 hours (I was using it to bake some potatos too)

I pulled out my ThirdEye Wiggle Rod and shook the ash down.

Still nothing, pegged at around 250.

This morning, while cleaning out the Egg, I found my problem. Out of fuel!!

The thing ran out (I only put in a little, as there was a little left from the last pizza experiment) but still maintained temp for hours. I must have used it all when it shot up to 650*. Me turning down the damper meant nothing, as there was little left to work with. It just slowly cruised down over about 6 hour period total.

Once that ceramic gets hot, it really retains the heat.

looks good from here!
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Back