The smoker is purchased!

B

Big_Jesse

Thank's to every one who helped me out in my decision. I thought about it long and hard and Im going with the WSM. Just ordered it a few minutes ago from amazon with a chimeny starter.

I will be sure to show you brothers pic's of the first smoke and probably have a butt load of questions for you too.

What would you suggest for the first smoke? To break her in right.

Thank's again

-Big Jesse

IMHO a pork butt would be the most fool proof. Brisket would be the last thing I'd try. Maybe throw some ribs on there as well.

Pork butt is the most forgiving, but once you get the knack of temp control on your WSM brisket shouldn't be too far down the road! Brisket and ribs are the 2 toughest things to cook in competition.

Congrats and keep folks posted on how ya do!

Yikes - now I'm nervous!

Congrats on the WSM Jesse! I'm going through the same decision making process. Good luck with it and keep us all posted!

In the meantime, I JUST got back from dinner with my sister in law and her husband and agreed to try to smoke a brisket for Easter. I've never done one before - and now I read where it's the hardest to do?? GULP!!

Maybe I'll bring some good old PB&J along in case I destroy it!

Of course, this is now an awesome excuse to practice with one next weekend! :lol:

Scott

Pork Butt, is there another name for it or should I just the butcher for pig a$$?

I love me some brisket also but I guess I should start on the bottom and work my way up.

Good luck on your brisket for easter, let us know how it goes.

-Jesse

Pork Butt, is there another name for it or should I just the butcher for pig a$$?

Boston butt, shoulder roast, blade roast...............it doesn't come from the pig's a$$ LMAO!

a pork loin is also a no brainer on forst smoke

bring to 165

wrap in foil

return to heat to 190

then in the cooler for 2 hours;

now Im hungry

Congrats Jesse. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the WSM. That's about your only obligation to this group. Share the good and the bad. We ALL learn from that.

For the Butt or many other things you might want to take a look at the top of the forum and look for the 'Roadmap' thread. there is quite a bit of info contained there. For pork butt

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2695

The only bad question is the one you don't ask. Looking forward to hearing about that first cook. :D

Big_Jesse said:

I love me some brisket also but I guess I should start on the bottom and work my way up.

Good luck on your brisket for easter, let us know how it goes.

-Jesse

Pork shoulder
Pork butt
Boston Butt

My butcher has labeld these the same

Glad to hear you made your decision, Jesse. A Boston Butt is a wise choice for a first time cook. Take photos, and let us know how it turns out. Definitely wait for the brisket cook until you've mastered some of the basics.

Just read the "Down Home Pulled Pork Sandwiches" recipie in the files section. It states,

"Use a Boston Butt for the best results. A pork shoulder is usually divided into the picnic, the upper part of the shoulder, and the butt, the lower half. Picnics are frequently found in the meat case at your favorite grocer, but the butt often has to be requested. This is because, on its own, the butt isn’t a particularly attractive piece of meat as it has a fairly high fat content. For smoking, however, this is great! It is inexpensive and the fat adds wonderful flavor to the meat while mostly cooking away during the long smoking time."

So there is a difference between boston butt and a picinic shoulder? im confused.

Just came back from Wally World and they had a 8lb picnic shoulder with skin on is this what i want?

-Big Jesse

Just came back from Wally World and they had a 8lb picnic shoulder with skin on is this what i want?

That's hard to say without seein' it Jesse, but takin' a WAG at it I'd say it's just the picnic portion concidering the weight. Not really what you want.

I don't really understand the part about it being hard to find a Boston butt either. They're easy to find in the south, but go by various names, blade roast,, shoulder roast, etc. Just ask someone in the meat dept if they have any of these cuts. Weight varies on them. Anywhere from 6 to 9 pounds, no skin on them.

Big_Jesse said:
Just read the "Down Home Pulled Pork Sandwiches" recipie in the files section. It states,

"Use a Boston Butt for the best results. A pork shoulder is usually divided into the picnic, the upper part of the shoulder, and the butt, the lower half. Picnics are frequently found in the meat case at your favorite grocer, but the butt often has to be requested. This is because, on its own, the butt isn’t a particularly attractive piece of meat as it has a fairly high fat content. For smoking, however, this is great! It is inexpensive and the fat adds wonderful flavor to the meat while mostly cooking away during the long smoking time."

So there is a difference between boston butt and a picinic shoulder? im confused.

-Big Jesse
Negative there Good Buddy! :D The "picnic shoulder" you saw is what we refer to down here as a Fresh Ham. It is encased with skin and has a bone running down the middle. Skin will not absorb smoke and must be cross-cut with a knife or removed for smoking purposes. The Butt I'm doing right now was bought at Wally-World and at my store anyway, they sit side by side with the picnics. Ask the Meat Dept, if they have: Boston Butts or Shoulder Blade Pork Roasts.

It is encased with skin and has a bone running down the middle. Skin will not absorb smoke and must be cross-cut with a knife or removed for smoking purposes.

Interesting. I've done a few dozen picnics and always leave the skin on during smoking. I think it adds a protective layer to the meat underneath. I remove the skin prior to pulling. Never had a problem at all with smoke penetration - meat has always been nice and pink and full of flavor.

tommykendall said:
It is encased with skin and has a bone running down the middle. Skin will not absorb smoke and must be cross-cut with a knife or removed for smoking purposes.

Interesting. I've done a few dozen picnics and always leave the skin on during smoking. I think it adds a protective layer to the meat underneath. I remove the skin prior to pulling. Never had a problem at all with smoke penetration - meat has always been nice and pink and full of flavor.
TK, this is what I was told many years ago, and had also read it on a reputable site...................therefore, I've always cross-cut the skin prior to smoking. In fact, I believe I even read it on a thread here before (Smoke not penetrating skin). I'm glad it worked for you, 'cause I've never tried it the other way.................figured they knew more than I did at the time.

Congrats Jesse!

Scott, throw you an Easter fatty in there too, that will be done an hour before the main meat is done. They're pretty much no-brainers. When you unwrap that fatty and cut into it you'll have to fight the vultures (family) to even get it sliced! By the time your main course is done your guests will have a high opinion of your Qing skills and it might not matter if the butt or brisket is perfect!

Back