MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Have You Purchased a Used Egg?

After a year or better of watching so many of you getting your hands (one way or another) on used Eggs, I was wondering ..... just why the previous owners were getting rid of them? What's the story?

Some of the deals are fantastic...... Are the sellers upgrading to a larger one, moving to a different style of cooker, moving or what.

Just curious.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I think a lot of upper income people buy them because they hear or read that a BGE is one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. Then, they find out that they're not really that interested in cooking outside if it's going to take work. So, they ditch them and buy big fancy stainless steel gassers. Just my 2¢.
-Bret

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

^^^What he said.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

The first one I bought was from a young couple. They bought it, used it a couple of times, and then told me they just didn't like the way it cooked. When I picked it up they had the firebox in backwards!!! I wouldn't have like the way it cooked either!! I sold that one for a handsome profit.

The second one was a guy who said it took to much time. I used it for a few months and sold it for a really good profit as well.

The third one was an XL. The guy was moving to Colorado and said he could buy a new one for what it was going to cost him to ship it. I ended up trading this for a large in a large table and the girl gave me $200 to boot.

The fourth one was an older medium. It was in really rough shape. The guy said his FIL had given it to him and he had never used it.

I am really happy with my medium and large but I search CL everyday for deals just in case!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
swamprb

The people I got BGE from were moving and didn't want to deal with it. A couple of the Kamados I've acquired I asked why they were getting rid of them and some of the replies were, they were too much hassle or they didn't have the time to use them.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Divemaster

I think mine was a divorce/get even situation... I mean a Large BGE for $150????

She claimed that she couldn't handle all the smoke that came off of it.

It had a very worn table, and was missing the plate setter and the grate. I picked up what it was missing along with a new nest for less than $100 and she has worked great ever since....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-South View Post
I think a lot of upper income people buy them because they hear or read that a BGE is one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. Then, they find out that they're not really that interested in cooking outside if it's going to take work. So, they ditch them and buy big fancy stainless steel gassers. Just my 2˘.
-Bret

Exactly how I got mine, a large bge, a small, and the table. All for $195 on Craigslist, he and his wife (the owners) are university professors.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a medium and a mini. The lady's husband had passed away and she was a vegan!
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
thillin

The large I bought, the guy was using a gasser. The Med, Tom wanted an XL.

I think the economy has a hand in it also. People are strained from gas and food prices. More people are selling things they don't use or need.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

First egg was a medium that the guy needed cash and he was not impressed with the wqy it cooked but kept it around for 10 years.
Second egg was a large that a vagatarian couple (politically correct term for lesbians) wanted to get rid of because they were moving from Fresno to Alameda and could not have a BBQ on the wood deck at their condo complex. Egg was two years old.
Third egg was a rescue out of the santa Cruz Mountains before the fire. The guy claimed he was moving back east and wanted to get rid of it, more like he barely used it and it is only a year old.
fourth egg is an adoption out of Huntington Beach where the previous owner states he uses his large more than his small and is only one year old. He used the small more than anyone used my eggs that I have gathered and it cleaned up well inside after yesterday's long hot burn.
My fifth egg was actually picked up at the same time as my third but I picked it up and had a deal hammered out with a friend of mine that I sold it to for enough to pay for 1/2 of my third egg and pay for the gas to pick both of them up. He still made out like a used egg bandit. I could have made an additional $150 profit easily but decided to share the wealth instead.
Folks buy these eggs and do not have what it takes to really BBQ and are happy with the immediate available flame of a gasser. In the end we have to be thankful for these ambitious yuppies that were able to make these eggs available to those of us, that can't afford them new, at a great affordable price!
I admit that I spent close to $900 on a stainless steel Costco gasser that now sits covered in retirement. My wife won't let me sell it because it is the only one that she knows how to fire up to burn steaks & chicken on when I am out of town. I have a little over that in my four eggs and I am set till I find another to turn for a slight profit.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Grumpy's Q
is One Chatty Farker

My Medium was bought from a guy in Down town Dallas. He said he was moving from one condo to another due to a rent hike. The condo he was in was on the ground floor so it had a small fenced in yardett. The new place was on the second floor so no outdoor cooking allowed. The Medium was six months old the inside was still tan. The guy said he never really figured it out anyway. It had an egg pizza stone with grill marks on it. No plate setter he tried to cook a pizza direct.
The large Ty found for me. It was sold with a house (Ty correct me if I am wrong) The new owners didn't know what to do with it. It's an older egg, but very solid. The inside had patent pending on the inside. Looked like it was not used much.
Fish fryer/ turkey fryer
22 1/2 inch Weber gold kettle..blue
1 small tailgate gasser
3 Big Green eggs, 1 medium and 2 larges
Grumpy's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
ddog27
Full Fledged Farker

When I bought mine the people said they are getting older and did not want to move the BGE to their new home. Just too heavy for them. I was more than happy to move it to my home!

[url]http://ddogsbbq.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/D-DOGS-BBQ/30997079547?ref=ts[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
[url]http://twitter.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
ddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

My wife brought mine into my life. Her ex loved it, so she took it in the divorce. He was a cheating bastage, so I don't feel sorry for him.

I mentioned to my brother-in-law that since mine came with my wife, it was free.

He quickly corrected me and reminded me that mine was more expensive than anyone else's because it will cost me every penny I'll ever make for the rest of my life. Ouch.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-South View Post
He quickly corrected me and reminded me that mine was more expensive than anyone else's because it will cost me every penny I'll ever make for the rest of my life. Ouch.
That's true about each of my cookers, and i bought them!
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Rick's Tropical Delight

i've only bought one used egg, unless you count the three i've gotten at eggfests, and the used one i bought i sold for what i bought it for to my friend. it was on craiglist for sale and she said it was her X boyfriend's. i asked her if he would be chasing me down the street!