• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I'm not exactly clear on what defines a 'fatty'...

food4thot

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
...contrary to what it says under my username.

What specifically constitutes a fatty? Can any ground meat be used? Is a bacon wrap mandatory? Does meatloaf qualify as a fatty or would it need to be stuffed and rolled?

I'll just shut up and listen for now :pop2:

...and like the namesake...it must be rolled :mrgreen: and not a stuffed meatloaf as I have seen some claim as a fatty.

The origins of the fattie are concerned with the unwrapping of a chub of breakfast sausage and smoking said sausage. Naked and unstuffed. That is the truest expression of a fattie, you can add rub to the outside and stay within the realm of the original intent. Some folks use other sausage, some stuff and some bacon wrap. All of these are adornments, gilding of the lily as it were.

It is not meatloaf rolled into a cylinder, stuffed or not, that is just a round meatloaf. Fatties must be of sausage. And really, I think we all understand that means pork sausage, not turkey, chicken, soy, or whatever else.

Thanks for the link Jeanie, that was cool. Ten years ago, wow!

Food4thot, the beginning of your next fattie begins at the grocery store when you buy a one pound "log" of raw breakfast sausage. Jimmy Dean, R.B. Rice, Tennessee Pride, or the cheap store brand....it doesn't matter. Unwrap one right from the plastic wrap and drop it on the smoker until the internal temp is 165-170. You're done. From there, you imagination can go wild. Rock on.

Here is a later post by Bigdog, who made and named the first fatty, elaborating what a fatty is from the fatty TD:

Nope. While the traditional ones are pork sausage breakfast ones with the funny wrapper twisted on each end (hence the name), they can be made of most anything resembling sausage (pseudo-sausage). It needs to be contain quite a bit of fat to maintain moisture, but even there, I am not fussy. Part of the beauty of the fatty is that it can be made of most anything and can be stuffed, rubbed or what ever. No long list of rules here. The key is to be long and thin (tubular) and must, repeat must be smoked. I do draw the line to cooking it in a loaf pan, making it a meat loaf or a fatty loaf maybe. A fatty must be rolled and smoked. This is the other non negotiable. Hope this helps.

Note that Bigdog leaves it wide open with regard to meat. It can be pork, beef, or lobster, maybe even tofu :noidea:. If it is cooked in a pan, then it is meatloaf, a special category, a fatty loaf. The only real requirement is that it is rolled and smoked.

edit: I suspect Bigdog may draw the line at tofu, but I don't really know for sure.

Here's the birth of the fatty...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8014
A log of sausage, smoked.

I've heard that if ground beef is used, it becomes a meatloaf.
Thanks for that look-back to the origin of the term fatty, but I'm still a little confused.

Sausage is mentioned a number of times. Sausage can be made from a number of critters and fishes. Does a 'fatty' have to include store bought pork sausage or is the meat choice open to creative license? Is there a required fat content to qualify as a fatty?

Here are a few items from the first Fatty Throwdown that might give you some ideas, including a starfish thing that Guerry made:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94096

1433839_deguerre.jpg

Also, here is the fatty appreciation thread that I haven't seen in a long time:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123431

Thanks for the link Jeanie, that was cool. Ten years ago, wow!

Food4thot, the beginning of your next fattie begins at the grocery store when you buy a one pound "log" of raw breakfast sausage. Jimmy Dean, R.B. Rice, Tennessee Pride, or the cheap store brand....it doesn't matter. Unwrap one right from the plastic wrap and drop it on the smoker until the internal temp is 165-170. You're done. From there, you imagination can go wild. Rock on.
I'll try that next time I go camping. Breakfast sausage is great, but generally predictable.

Have an idea for what I would consider a fatty. Drooling just thinking about it. Won't get to it until next weekend because I'm already set through tomorrow. Will post pics if it works

Now, this here, was a perfect Fatty...LINK

Nope. Sorry. That attempt pales in comparison to my first fattie.
I not only shot pics and gave instructions, this was an EPIC fattie experience. As far as I'm concerned, this should be a fattie "sticky thread". Yea, it's just that awesome.

Ok....I've been drinking, so cut me some slack, but I still think it's pretty cool and think it would help noobs make an amazing stuffed fattie.

Rock on dudes. :cool:
Bob

I'll try that next time I go camping. Breakfast sausage is great, but generally predictable.

Ahhh...but that's where the magic is.....
When you smoke one. Then put it in the freezer for another day, then thaw it. Next you slice it into medallions, and place it on some good biscuits with some cheese and egg, you've made something MUCH greater than the typical "breakfast sausage". Trust me.
(I've got pics to prove it, check the link in my last post) :-D

I was wondering, do I need to teach this Bob guy how to taunt me?

BTW, find and make Boshizzle's Dad's country sausage recipe, add enough spice, that will not be a pedestrian fatty

Back