MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice start. Always wanted a wood fired oven. Love home made pizza and bread. Went as far as getting plans from Forno Bravo's web site but scrapped the idea when i determined i didnt have the skill level needed.
Maybe one day. Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Looks good!

Just an Idea - If you ripped the form boards on the exsisting concrete along your "level line" you would have an easy time of working the concrete. Just a thought.
That would definitely be the ideal but doing that brings in a few other variables in this particular instance. This being such a small area I will just have to make it work.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Woke up this morning refreshed and ready to get the pad poured.

Here it is about 1/3 of the way done, it ended up being easier to pour to the line on my 2x6 than I thought it would be.

Here the pad is poured and the screeding is completed. It took me about 1.25 hours to get from turning on the mixer to this point. I can mix 4 bags at a time in my mixer so that helps a lot.

Remember when I said I figured it to take 26 bags but I bought 30, well I ended up mixing all 30 and had this much left, probably 1.5 bags or so left. So I am guessing it ended up taking 28.5 bags.

Since virtually none of this will be seen, I just went with a simple brush finish.

Oh yeah, my helpers made their marks! I had them do it where the opening to the wood storage area will be, that way they can still see them after the project is complete.

I will take the forms off later today and then start sourcing the concrete block. Goal is to let this cure for 3-4 days, stack the block towards the end of the week and pour the hearth next weekend. I will be dry stacking the block and filling every other cavity with concrete which I will do at the same time I am pouring the hearth to make it one solid unit.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Last edited by speers90; 08-10-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good. I remember my boys at that age. Always wanting to be like Dad and to help. Unfortunately, about the time they get big enough to really help, they don't want to.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Great project, will be fun to see this progress.

KC

Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post

My biggest concern of the entire project is the exhaust, but I am sure it is one of those things that once you get to that point it will make more sense.
This is true. When you get to that point the transition from dome to flue vent will start to make more sense.
Good luck with the build!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #22
Bama Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Have wanted to do this for a while. I'll be watching!

*NOT a member of the Secret Squirrel Society because it does not exist! :crazy:

KCBS
CBJ
Bama Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

You mean I have to wait till next week for the next episode!!!! I hate to be continueds........

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Awesome job! This is on my wish list also.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeo719 View Post
You mean I have to wait till next week for the next episode!!!! I hate to be continueds........
For people who know me, they know that waiting will be the toughest part of the entire build for me. I like to start and keep on rolling, there will be several points in this build that you must be patient, not one of my strong points!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 08-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Cool project. Love wood-fired ovens.
food4thot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #27
nealkas
Found some matches.

Thinking about a clay oven?

Some great diy guides around.

On my bucket list of backyard projects.
nealkas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

This will be a brick oven, but you are right all the info is readily available to anyone that has the ambition.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
This will be a brick oven, but you are right all the info is readily available to anyone that has the ambition.
Just noticed you're in Minnesota. Do you have any concern about the slab heaving during the winters?
food4thot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #30
Gulf
On the road to being a farker

Great start! Ryan,

You are going to have a blast building your oven. Keep the kids involved as much as possible. They will remember "helping" you for a lifetime. For those other times when they can be underfoot, I gave my grandaughter a small trial and all the cut offs that she wanted to pick up. That kept her busy (close by) in the sand pile for hours. She is a bit older now but, she "helped build" Pop Pop's oven .

1.jpg

A couple of cheap grills, 1 old smoker, a 22" Weber Gold, a homemade [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/MiniWSM?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXHlu_bv5upFg"]Mini-WSM[/URL][/B], [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/TheOven?authkey=Gv1sRgCLyd6bbIseqYSA"]Wood Fired Oven[/URL][/B], and working on a UDS.
Some [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/WFOOvenFood?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTcuMHN24_mbw"]WFO Food[/URL][/B] to look at.
Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->