MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Default Wood Fired Oven Build

I've been wanting a wood fired oven for a long time and now seems like a good time to start building one, so here goes! After all "The Beast" build went so well I can't help but think that I can probably pull this off. Full disclosure, I did work for a mason a couple summers in high school so I am not unfamiliar with that trade, but I am by no means talented at the craft.

I went back and forth on whether to build this on a cart or a separate permanent spot in the yard. I was leaning toward the cart until I glanced out of our bedroom window and I saw this spot by our patio, funny thing is that I couldn't picture it from ground level but from above I saw it right away. This pic is from my deck, but you get the idea.

Next it was time to dig a little to have room to build a good base. I dug down about a foot to have plenty of room for my base and a 6" thick concrete pad. Also, always a good idea to dig a little extra from all sides to make sure you have plenty of room when setting up your forms.

Then I set the forms, added a little of the dirt back and tamped it down so that my "hole" was about 10" deep. Next was the base, I used class 5 rock and the base layer is about 4" thick, that leaves enough space for my 6" concrete pad.

Now I have to get creative because I am building a portion of this over my current concrete slab patio that slopes quite a it to make sure water is running away from the house. Probably can't see it but there are "level" lines drawn on the 2x6's and we will do our best to pour to those lines.

Just another pic of a tip that will keep your from cussing later on, if you didn't already do so, go back around and make sure none of tops of your stakes, that are holding your forms in place, are exposed above the top level of your form. This makes it much simpler when it comes time to screed and finish your concrete.

I hammer drilled 5 holes into my patio and pinned some rebar shorts in them, then I added some longer sections of rebar and wire tied them together. It's not the prettiest job but I am using up some odds and end in this step. I also drilled 6 holes in the top of the patio and put some concrete screws in them to help the concrete hold on the over pour section. Not sure if this will help at all but I figured it couldn't hurt.

The concrete mixer and bags of concrete mix are ready to go tomorrow! I figured it to be about 26 - 60# bags so I bought 30! There is nothing worse than being short a bag or two when you need them, plus I will need concrete mix for a couple other steps of this build and have plenty of room to store them in the mean time.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

Did you do all this in one day? By yourself? You're my hero. Where do yo get that much energy?

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
Did you do all this in one day? By yourself? You're my hero. Where do yo get that much energy?
No, I dug the hole last night, the rest I did today. It was a pretty productive day when you consider I had to haul all the dirt and extra class 5 away and my two boys (ages 7 & 5) wanted to help!

Which is fantastic because I love them taking an interest in these types of things but it sure doesn't speed up the process. But they had a good time shoveling dirt, tamping the base, using the drill to setup the forms, playing with the tape measure and levels when I was doing something that I didn't need their help on.

They even wanted to help me unload the 60# bags of concrete mix, but neither one of them can lift them! So then I had to teach them a little about leverage and how to spin them into place so I could grab them.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 08-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Fascinating!

Gonna be fun to watch this progress.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing the progress of your project.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

A fine start you have there. Lookin forward to the progress pics. Don't forget the boys handprints since they are helping you.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.

Last edited by Stingerhook; 08-09-2014 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
scarekrow
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great start. I want to see what kind of design you end up going with.
scarekrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looking great so far!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
peeps

This looks like it is gonna be a fun project!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Yay a new show to watch!!!!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarekrow View Post
Great start. I want to see what kind of design you end up going with.
Going with an "igloo" arched dome vs the barrel arch, interior cooking diameter of 42". Ceiling height of 17" - 18" with the door opening being approximately 21" wide by 11" tall. Will be using 2" ceramic fiber board underneath the cooking floor, medium duty firebrick for the floor and arch. Not sure on insulation for the dome, was thinking about building a "cocoon" around it and filling with either perlite or vermiculite to about 4-6" deep around the entire dome.

My biggest concern of the entire project is the exhaust, but I am sure it is one of those things that once you get to that point it will make more sense.

The finished housing will have a gable roof, not sure on roofing yet, but the exterior walls will be stone veneer unless the boss tells me otherwise.

A whole lot of work to build one of these!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

Subscribed, can't wait to see how this all turns out!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Looks good!

Just an Idea - If you ripped the form boards on the exsisting concrete along your "level line" you would have an easy time of working the concrete. Just a thought.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #14
woodsider
On the road to being a farker

Excellent! Show us more!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I like where this is headed!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote