MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I really doubt that the teams that will compete for Pork ToY in KCBS are fretting over how they are going to cook their pork come January.
I slightly disagree with this statement. ONLY because yesterday I was on the phone with the main cook from a top team and we were discussing other stuff and our practices cooks and he made the comment he doesnt know how to practice/ change his pork yet so for now he is going to work with the other meats.

And I have another buddy of mine who calls me fairly often and he is an up and coming team. he did well this year and plans on making a serious run next year. At least once a week he asks me if I have heard any updates on the pork rule.

Both these guys can and will go by whatever rule is in place even if it is the same as this season and previous seasons but it sounds like they might want to practice to learn any and all options.

As for me, I am not a good enough cook to worry about it one way or the other. I will mess it up no matter which way I cook it.

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #62
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

The original intent of the pork rule was for the PitMaster to demonstrate their abilities in cooking the whole shoulder or one of the 2 halves typically available (the whole picnic or the whole butt). Trimming into muscle groups was never the intention. The cook became creative and further separated the shoulder into muscle groups making it easier to cook. The rule changed by add minimum weight and no parting. Once again the cook's become very creative in their trimming by using partial parting into separate muscle groups than demonstrating actual cooking skills. The rule has been stretching beyond its flexibility in a sport centered on honesty and integrity than rule watchdogs in every camp.

Proposed rule.

Pork shall be the whole shoulder or one of the two halves (Picnic or Butt) having a minimum weight of 5 pounds after trimming. Separation of muscles before cooking is complete is prohibited.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #63
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I just hope when this is settled, someone from KCBS is able to answer definitively what is and isn't legal. I could care less how it ends up. I just don't want to get DQ'd over a misunderstanding.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #64
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I really doubt that the teams that will compete for Pork ToY in KCBS are fretting over how they are going to cook their pork come January.

I wouldn't count on that.... I know a former pork TOY that is practicing ....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #65
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

If I can cook separately, you damn well bet for sure I'll be developing ways to only cook 2 butts instead of 4!!.. All on the smoker, all low and slow, so don't try to kick my a$$ for 'grilling'.. Every time we pull butts after turn in, it's so damn tough on the muscles we don't cook, it's just a waste of not making an entire, good quality pork. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd just throw them shoe soles in the trash.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #66
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
If I can cook separately, you damn well bet for sure I'll be developing ways to only cook 2 butts instead of 4!!.. All on the smoker, all low and slow, so don't try to kick my a$$ for 'grilling'.. Every time we pull butts after turn in, it's so damn tough on the muscles we don't cook, it's just a waste of not making an entire, good quality pork. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd just throw them shoe soles in the trash.
100% agree, we too use an off-set and cook four butts, two trimmed for pulled/chunks, and two trimmed for the MM. It sucks having two butts that are too under cooked to pull left over(the MM butts) to take home or serve for public sampling. It is a total waste. It would be nice, and cheaper for us if we could cook only two butts, separate the MM when it hits 185'ish and put the reminder back on the pit until they tender up enough to pull or chuck.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #67
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post
The original intent of the pork rule was for the PitMaster to demonstrate their abilities in cooking the whole shoulder or one of the 2 halves typically available (the whole picnic or the whole butt). Trimming into muscle groups was never the intention. The cook became creative and further separated the shoulder into muscle groups making it easier to cook. The rule changed by add minimum weight and no parting. Once again the cook's become very creative in their trimming by using partial parting into separate muscle groups than demonstrating actual cooking skills. The rule has been stretching beyond its flexibility in a sport centered on honesty and integrity than rule watchdogs in every camp.
I'm not sure how turning in select pieces of 4 butts (trimmed and cooked differently) demonstrates the ability to cook a whole butt. The only way to evaluate a cook's ability to cook the whole shoulder/butt would be to limit everyone to one piece and have them turn it in whole.

Honestly, making the rule simply "the pork must come from the shoulder" is good enough for me and would put it in line with the other three meats.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #68
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
Honestly, making the rule simply "the pork must come from the shoulder" is good enough for me and would put it in line with the other three meats.
The butchers would love that, they could charge as much as they want for the MM by itself and everyone would pay it. Teams would cook 1 whole butt and 6 MM's
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #69
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Thinking out loud here....has there been any discussion about limiting teams to only cooking 2 butts (and a simple "5 lb min, has to be from the shoulder rule")? That way everyone is on the same playing field and the MM harvesting issue goes away. You simply cook 2 butts and turn in the best parts, whatever that may be. Only challenge would be how to handle when teams cook extra meat for people choice, there would be no way to separate the KCBS meat from PC meat.

Last edited by ShencoSmoke; 11-20-2013 at 09:35 PM..
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #70
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Thinking out loud here....has there been any discussion about limiting teams to only cooking 2 butts (and a simple "5 lb min, has to be from the shoulder rule")? That way everyone is on the same playing field and the MM harvesting issue goes away. You simply cook 2 butts and turn in the best parts, whatever that may be. Only challenge would be how to handle when teams cook extra meat for people choice, there would be no way to separate the KCBS meat from PC meat.
Everyone would still be cooking one for MM and one for pulled/chunks. If you limit it to one, you would see less MM turned in and it would be lower quality. I'm not sure that is a positive.

The only real difference if parting is allowed is that people will cook fewer butts. For all the talk of grilled MM or pork sausage, all you will see is the same boxes turned in and less pork in the trash.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #71
Icekub
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post

This is how I feel about the rule. Like many, we cook 2 butts for MM (which the rest is trashed) and 2 butts for pulled, chunks, etc. I don't like to waste food but I'm not going to risk being DQ'd just to satisfy my own desire to not waste. It doesn't give me any advantage finishing the rest of the butts so why not allow it?
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #72
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You guys make me feel dumb. I use the same butts for pulled and for MM.

I must be the only SOB with hot spots on my cooker.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #73
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post

I was just thinking the same thing! I cook 3 butts as that is all the room I have but use them all for MM and pulled.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #74
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

No I cook 3 butts and the way I do it I can get MM, chunks and Pulled all from the same one. The last contest I did came in 6th out of 43 and everything in the box came from one butt.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #75
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Me too. I cook two butts, pick the best one, and turn it in, but what do I know?