Finally able to break in the 22" WSM - Pics

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After a long vacation, I was finally able to fire up the 22" WSM for the first time today. I still have a freezer full of brisky and pulled pork, so I offered a couple of the neighbors a chance for some smoked meat at cost.
One neighbor wanted a brisky and boston butt, and the other just wanted a boston butt.

I can't remember which Brethen mentioned it first, but the rain box directions for the iQue110 can be found on their web site.
IMG_0001.jpg

Brisky at 160 internal before I wrapped with some beef stock. Wrapped for 2 hours and unwrapped to set the bark.
IMG_0007.jpg

Bottom rack for the butts.
IMG_0010.jpg

Pan-o-sliced brisky.
IMG_0019.jpg

Pan-o-Burnt ends.
IMG_0039.jpg

Two pans-o-pulled pork.
IMG_0030.jpg

Few things I learned:

Even with no water in the pan (foiled with some foil balls), the iQue110 struggled to get up to 300+. When I ran my initial temp test with no meat a few weeks ago, it didn't struggle at all. I guess 38 pounds of cold meat makes a difference!
Even with the other two vents wide open, along with the top vent, it took almost 2 hours to get to 300. Once it hit temp it just chugged along though. I added charcoal at 6 hours.

Wrapping Boston Butts for 3 hours at high heat is too long! Should have only wrapped for 2 hours like I do briskys, but I thought that since their internal temps were lower they needed 3. I wasn't able to set the bark on the pork because they literally fell apart when I unwrapped them. I've never wrapped Boston Butts before but was pressed for time and wanted a shortcut.
I went ahead and re-wrapped and held in a cooler for 2 hours. Still came out tasty though!

As has been noted, the 22" WSM is a fuel hog, even with an iQue110. The charcoal ring was down to about 1/4 full at 6 hours.

That's all!

Last edited:
the long delay is inexcusable... I mean, vacationing in Hawaii with the wife over cooking on a new WSM ? Priorities are all messed up

just kidding.. :wink: Nice job Marc :thumb:

That is some kick a$$ lookin' brisky there. Love the red bark. What was your rub?

Sounds like you got it broken in ;)
Both the brisket and the ends look amazing, nice work Saiko
That pulled pork looks great too

Looks good and thanks for the IQue review. I am sure it was the 38lbs. of meat that made it struggle. I got up to 350º last night but it was some wangs.

Back