• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Nope. It's the weekend, like government employees are going to work.

We have actually escalated this to the highest possible level. Now the county commissioners are involved, attorneys are involved, and my wife's boss even got our state senator to return some calls. Nothing going to stop this from happening ASAP if I have anything to say about it.

Atta boy!!! You pay all of their salaries and DONT let them forget it!!!!

You would think that they would be helping you get open. The sooner you open the sooner you start generating revenue. I think they forget that what we do generates money to pay their salary. I think they all need to be reminded of that more often.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
You would think that they would be helping you get open. The sooner you open the sooner you start generating revenue. I think they forget that what we do generates money to pay their salary. I think they all need to be reminded of that more often.

Yeah, that's the thing. When I finally got the township supervisor involved, he said he would use whatever political power he could to get things going because he wanted to see us open and making money in the community. But then he hit the same roadblock I did with this idiotic technicality between the mechanical and health inspectors and said there was nothing he could do to bypass that.

Oh well. It is what it is and like all the other problems I've encountered, I'll just have to roll with it. I mean I could get pissed off about it, but that won't solve anything, and yelling at the people who need to make this happen won't help or could make things worse, so I'm just trying to do what they say needs to be done and have it done as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, today was awesome given the response. If you count just the phone calls and walk-ins, we would have served at least 100 people. Sure, I would have loved to see that money in the cash register, but oh well. I did hand out some samples, menus, and a 10% off coupon for when they come back, and everyone seemed thrilled. And spent a lot of time just sitting down and talking with everyone who are so excited and love the food.

The community support is unbelievable. Everybody in the county, and even beyond, are talking about the place and so excited. So, I have no doubt that if I can maintain a quality produce and good service, we'll have no problem getting people in the door. So, it's just deep breaths and remaining calm while I navigate this last legal hurdle.

To be honest, I'm glad I'm taking this weekend off. I need sleep more than I ever have before.

Rest up Brother, you deserve it and things will fall into place when they're meant to.

For sure, get in that rest. Might be the last one for a long while.

What is YOUR schedule going to be like? Are you closed any day of the week like Monday/Tuesday or are you gonna take Monday/Tuesday off and let someone you trust handle things that day? I know that may be a while off until you get things running smoothly, but remember to take care of yourself, eventually.

Kill 'em with kindness. Undoubtedly, this isn't the last time you will need to deal with them.

Wifey just put the pickles in the fridge. Smells great already, but we will wait a couple days to try them. Thanks again for the recipe

I've followed this thread and follow your FB page. I would strongly recommend that you NOT post any of your negative feelings on the FB page. Vent those frustrations here in this thread and we'll all encourage you and share in your frustration. But DON'T let your potential customers see the negative stuff. You already had one woman start fussing at you for calling out the inspectors... don't let any more negative stuff get posted at this early point.

I also made your pickle recipe this evening. Made in support of you opening ASAP!
Thanks for all the effort!
ry%3D400

Enjoy your rest brother. Tomorrow morning, it's back to phone calls.
Hope you get to open soon. I might have to take a weekend road trip up to Michigan!

Which page was the pickle recipe on?

I've followed this thread and follow your FB page. I would strongly recommend that you NOT post any of your negative feelings on the FB page. Vent those frustrations here in this thread and we'll all encourage you and share in your frustration. But DON'T let your potential customers see the negative stuff. You already had one woman start fussing at you for calling out the inspectors... don't let any more negative stuff get posted at this early point.

Yeah, my wife mentioned that to me yesterday. I need to keep the venting private. I was just so pissed off on Friday that it got the better of me. Hopefully we've got something lined up tomorrow to resolve this issue.

Wifey just put the pickles in the fridge. Smells great already, but we will wait a couple days to try them. Thanks again for the recipe

No problem. They are pretty good after sitting just overnight, but after two days, about perfect.

Enjoy your rest brother. Tomorrow morning, it's back to phone calls.
Hope you get to open soon. I might have to take a weekend road trip up to Michigan!

Which page was the pickle recipe on?

I'm already somewhat dreading Monday. It's so hard to spend the day turning people away and explaining that you're not open yet. Luckily, Mondays are technically our closed day, so that might keep things a bit more calm. But if we aren't up and running by Wednesday, it's going to hit the fan.

And I don't remember what page the pickle recipe was on, but it was posted about a week ago I believe.

One of the maddening things, and one that almost nobody realizes until they have been through it, is that the health and building guys have absolute power in their realms. It is usually best just to do what is asked and not fight it. There is almost no power and regular politician can wield to get those guys to play fair.

Hang in there, it will happen soon. Been there are too often, been to war over a hot dog machine in a Little League snack bar. It does get ridiculous.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
All the best in the world to you. I am sure you already know this, but be prepared to work 24/7. I own a wholesale bread bakery and it is all consuming of my time. I don't mind because I love what I do. It is very hard to find vacation time with the family. Make sure your wife is 100% behind you. I could not run my business without her even though she has her own career. My customers always come first. Thanks for the post. Again all the best to you and your family. If you ever need any bread advice, I am always available.I have been baking bread for 30 years now.

Hang in there Brother!

I understand your feeling towards inspectors. I went rounds with and FDA inspector since it was "what he wanted to see" and not the law. It's stupid the way some let things go to their heads and think they are the ALMIGHTY power over all.

Hope to be seeing you soon

Is your place located in Berrien or Cass county? I've worked with Virgil, the HD inspector for Berrien county and he's always been very helpful.

I hope the government finally lets you open up your business. :twisted:

I hope the government finally lets you open up your business. :twisted:

I agree, with reference to the absurd degree of horse**** the government puts people through it nearly gives me chest pains reading about this (& knowing many others that have gone through the same thing). One might think it to be common sense that when a guy is willing to lay it on the line, take huge financial risks & do what it takes to get a small business up & running that might prove to be a nice stream of taxes and employment for any given local community that these idiots would bend over backwards to do everything in their power to help get the balloon off the ground as soon as possible. Yet, as with most things governmental, they appear to thwart common sense and do just the opposite.

Back