The learning curve - with pron [part II]

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tonite - was a personal first on many levels... running hot and fast on a stickburner... while cooking low and slow cooking beef back ribs and country style sausage. :shock:. Beef has been elusive for me in the past.... been told to treat it like brisket... on a stick (Jeff Dunham mod).
Hope it treats me better this time....:pray:

Here's how... remember on the previous thread (part one) on the initial start-up... has shown multiple heating zones/temps in the Klose BYC.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120485

Tonight, fired up with a full lit chimney of charcoal poured over a few oak splits... working for a target temp @ the cooler left end of the main chamber @ 300 degrees. Here's the twist... the left side upright vertical chamber runs about 50-70 degrees cooler... thereby its my low and slow chamber... when pushing hot and fast from the firebox. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The plan is to season lightly the beef ribs with garlic salt on the bone side... (after the membrane is removed) and use a salt-free garlic/herb mix on the meat side... placing it in the middle shelf in the upright. On the upper rack will be the sausage... loosely coiled above the ribs.

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

The ultimate goal is to have the proteins smoked and prepped... for bbq-infused spaghetti... letting it meld overnight in a sauce for tomorrow's dinner.

IMAG0425.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

Sounded and tasted like an idea to persue....

Wow. Absolutely beautiful pron. I've only done beef ribs once and I loved 'em - gotta make that happen again real soon.

Do you have the pop baffle between chambers? I love being able to cook h&f and l&s all at the same time. The BYC is an amazing machine :thumb:

:twitch: DAMN that looks goooooooood! There's just something really cool about building a hot & fast fire in a stick burner aint it??? :becky::becky::becky:

Wow. Absolutely beautiful pron. I've only done beef ribs once and I loved 'em - gotta make that happen again real soon.

Do you have the pop baffle between chambers? I love being able to cook h&f and l&s all at the same time. The BYC is an amazing machine :thumb:

Not to get off track here but someone please enlighten me as to what this is??? Very curious!

Thanks
Cheers

:twitch: DAMN that looks goooooooood! There's just something really cool about building a hot & fast fire in a stick burner aint it??? :becky::becky::becky:

Not to get off track here but someone please enlighten me as to what this is??? Very curious!

Thanks
Cheers

No problem... between the main chamber and the vertical chamber, is a removeable baffle which sits flush within the cut-out opening.
By inserting/removing the baffle will reduce/increase the flow of smoke/heat.

Cooked without it tonite. :thumb:

I do have to say that is some sweet looking pron right there, one day I will be confident enough and have a big enough smoker to do a big cook like that!!

OK... fist off... a small disclaimer; crock pot warning.

This is not 'Feaux-Q'

[Sorry, using the words 'pron' and 'crockpot' and 'BBQ' are rarely used together.]

I do find a crockpot useful for a select few chores... like cooking down a chili or a sauce; as used in this example.

Have transferred the already smoked sausage and ribs into a crock pot to finish breaking down in a simmer/braise type fashion in a tomato sauce. The ribs did give up its bones without protest several hours later. Once the bones have been removed, transferred to a storage container with a secure lid to start the cooling down process outdoors (low 40's) before reaching the refrigerator.

The aroma was bothering me all morning... was tempting me to fire up a pot of water for a batch of linguine... for breakfast.

Pron to follow this evening.

Last edited:
I still say you should be teaching classes somewhere. Delectable looking pron, Bob! My tongue is hanging out drooling over it. :tongue:

Back