Building a smoker

L

lazybonesmoke1

I traded a full slab of ribs for each of these. I have no idea what to do next,besides go and grab a beer to talk about what to do next! Any suggestions?

DSCF0306.jpg

DSCF0308.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

The price was definitely right. Do you have any idea what kind of service they were in? Are there any tags or stamping in the shell? The yellow one appears to have had a skirt welded onto one of the heads, meaning it was an upright vessel of sorts. The width of the (possible automatic) welds would lead you to believe that the thickness is at least 1/4".

the yellow one was an upright air compressor. it is pretty heavy. the other one was an oil fuel tank, not real thick though.i was thinking of using it as a grill. i want to make the yellow one into a pig smoker of some kind.

I would think the oval one would work better size wize as the pig cooker if you lay it down on the flat side ---- instead of |
more real estate to fit a pig.

the yellow one was an upright air compressor. it is pretty heavy. the other one was an oil fuel tank, not real thick though.i was thinking of using it as a grill. i want to make the yellow one into a pig smoker of some kind.

A lot of air tanks are 3/16" or 1/4" unless they are high pressure tanks. An 18" X 1/4" wall pipe checks in at 47 pounds per foot.

Lazy,
did you ever do anyting with those? I have build a pig coker out of an oval oil drum before. Let me know if you need some help. BTW, I stopped by yesterday and had lunch, good eats!
Mike

Is it a bad idea to use an old oil drum for cooking/smoking food? I have 2 that I can get whenever I want them. But, have been wondering about the oil.

Is it a bad idea to use an old oil drum for cooking/smoking food? I have 2 that I can get whenever I want them. But, have been wondering about the oil.

They work fine for cooking up to 200lb pigs

Attachments

• logo running (Medium).jpg
    logo running (Medium).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 110
So there is no problems with the oil being in the tank. No funny taste to meat?

New to the site. I am currently working on building my own smoker/grill out of a oil tank exactly like the one above. I first poured in 2 gallons of SIMPLY GREEN from Home Depot at $9.00/gallon, added some hot water direct from the hot water heater. Swish around. Let it drain into buckets for proper disposal even though simply green is biodegradable. Cutting into a tank is not for the faint of heart. Have some help by using a pressure washer to spray in one of the holes to kill the sparks if you're scared. I cut a 12x12 hole on each end, stuck my arm in with the pressure washer and went to town. Get in corners. You should be ready to burn a bag of charcoal, then burn another but on the end of the second add some wood to really raise the temp and smoke. Burn for 6-10 hours and you will be good to go. My next step is to cut my lids and then season her up. She smells great already. I will post some pics soon. Hope this helps guys.

I was talking to a county health department officer who told me that they will NOT issue any permits or licenses to anyone wanting to cook and sell food from a home made cooker made out of old oil tanks. She was even a bit hesitant when I asked her about propane tanks but for sure she said no on the oil tanks.

Scott

Back