logo

Homemade BBQ Sauce Shelf Life?!

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have been seeing LOTS of different answers on this.

Made a Kansas City style sauce like 6 weeks ago, been refrigerated more or less since then.

Seeing some people say homemade sauces cant last more than 3 OR 4 DAYS!!

Other people saying it can last several months!!

Seeing as I'm feeding my family tomorrow I am not sure I want to risk getting anyone sick

Should I just play it safe and make more from scratch?

Thanks!

It will depend on a number of factors, primarily how salty and how acidic the sauce is.

If it is salty enough it will be refrigerator stable indefinitely.

One option that will certainly take care of most health concerns would be to boil the sauce again now. Once it has boiled it is "pasteurized" and should pose little health risk.

Another thing of concern is if your sauce has any onion, peppers, or the like in it. They will reduce shelf life.

Onion or garlic powder lasts well. Vinegar helps extend life.

It will depend on a number of factors, primarily how salty and how acidic the sauce is.

If it is salty enough it will be refrigerator stable indefinitely.

One option that will certainly take care of most health concerns would be to boil the sauce again now. Once it has boiled it is "pasteurized" and should pose little health risk.

Yeah was just thinking that! May just boil it again and hopefully we are good to go :)

Thank!

I make a piedmont NC style sauce that contains a lot of vinegar and ketchup, along with brown sugar, a little finely grated onion, worcestershire sauce, and various spices. It lasts many months in the fridge. The vinegar is the key to its longevity. The less acidity you have in the sauce, the shorter the shelf life.

Vinegar based sauces last a very long time. I have a batch of Shack attack sauce that is almost a year old. It is in its prime right now lol. Just give the jar a thorough shake and it's good to go again. 6 week old sauce of any variety that has been mostly refrigerated... I wouldn't think twice about serving it. But just to be sure, I would give it a sniff and taste test before offering it up to guests. In my mind, pretty much anything can survive 6 weeks in a refrigerator, as long as it is kept close to freezing. I like to keep my fridge around 34F. I can see issues if you keep your fridges over 40F.

Last edited:
I make a quart at the time, it simmers for 30 min., put in a squeeze bottle. Its kept in the pantry and has lasted for 2-3 months with no problem. Its ketchup and acv based so I guess that's why it does not spoil or mold.

Most Kansas City styles sauces are high in sugar and have vinegar. The level of acidity is important for some shelf life.

All the comments above are true.....

A high vinegar content prevents bacteria and mold from forming colonies. Bringing the sauce above 180° also helps, as this is the process of pasteurization. If you plan to keep for several months, a water bath seal (canning) will help in sealing a sterile product. I prefer to use a pressure cooker instead of a just water bath, but that's just my personal preference.

I also add citric acid to sauce that I process. It doesn't affect flavor but assures a higher level of acidity for a longer shelf life.

Back