• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's the Internal temp for a

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Deer shoulder. Big cook coming up this weekend. 60# of brisket and spares and a deer shoulder. Can someone tell me what to cook the deer to an internal temp to insure that it is done. Thanks in advance.

Be careful that it does not dry out. Brine it for a couple days b4 cooking and cook to 160. Wrap in foil, but pour some balsamic vinagrette on it b4 closing the foil. Put in a cooler and let rest 2 hours.

not trying to disagree but have good luck wrapping at 140 putting half cup bacon grease plus bown sugar and honey little bit of coke or dr.peeper bring temps. up to about 165 sauce and enjoy

Thanks Brothers, I had planned to Brine, the guy providing me with the shoulder said try what I wanted too. After the brine I plan to apply a binder, most likely olive oil for this. Then a nice but not to thick coating of my rub. Going to lay bacon all around and catch the drippings. When I pull it to wrap I will use the drippings and add to this just a few simple things that will hopefully enchance the flavor a little. Pour into the foil with the shoulder and cooler for a couple hours. I'm thinking that I will pull closer to 160 for this fist attempt.

Minnesota Department of Agriculture says a minimum temp of 165*
Missouri extension service says 160*.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Make several slits in shoulder and insert plug of pure lard not healthy but sure help the taste.

Back