• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question??-Philly Cheese Steak

B

BIGBrandon2785

Im making a dinner for my brother and he requested Philly cheese steaks.Ive had what they call cheese steaks here in st.louis but I would like to make authentic cheese steak.Is it just thin sliced chuck roast or sirloin??And do I season it like a prime rib??Also what's the best cheese or bread for it?

Any feed back is appreciated,thanks

Eye of the round, chill it till nearly frozen, then slice on a slicer paper thin, cook on a flat top griddle, salt pepper, carmelized onions, peppers, mucsrooms, cheeze wiz, on a french baguette, Put the baguette over the meat to steam the bread soft, and chow down!
Good luck and good eats,
Jed

Eye of the round, chill it till nearly frozen, then slice on a slicer paper thin, cook on a flat top griddle, salt pepper, carmelized onions, peppers, mucsrooms, cheeze wiz, on a french baguette, Put the baguette over the meat to steam the bread soft, and chow down!
Good luck and good eats,
Jed

Sounds like a plan,thanks man

I was born and raised in the suburbs of Philly.

Thin sliced ribeye is the best meat, IMO. The choice of cheese is up for debate, but I prefer provolone. I like grilled onions on mine, as well. That's what I grew up eating.

The key is to get a good roll, and make it soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Ameroso rolls are the best, but unless you want to pay big bucks to have it FedEx'd to you, get what you can get, and toast it until it is soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside.

The finished product should be a meaty, savory, cheesy sandwich on a roll that has a crunchy crust.

CD

How would I do a shaved rib eye,you mean just sliced thin or like a shredded kinda deal??

Can you get the meat department at your grocer to work with the deli department to put a ribeye steak on deli slicer and slice it to sandwich thickness?

Nobody here will do that for me, so I do the best I can at home. You will probably have to do the same. It doesn't have to be "shaved." If you can do a 1/8th cut with a knife, that will work fine.

I like to toss my onions onto the cast-iron skillet first, and then add the thin sliced beef, so the onion flavor cooks into the beef. I don't know it that is the proper way, but I like it.

CD

Can you get the meat department at your grocer to work with the deli department to put a ribeye steak on deli slicer and slice it to sandwich thickness?

Nobody here will do that for me, so I do the best I can at home. You will probably have to do the same. It doesn't have to be "shaved." If you can do a 1/8th cut with a knife, that will work fine.

I like to toss my onions onto the cast-iron skillet first, and then add the thin sliced beef, so the onion flavor cooks into the beef. I don't know it that is the proper way, but I like it.

CD
Well if its not the proper way,it sounds damn good.Thats what im do if I cant get the butcher shop I go to,to slice it.And im probally gonna use provolone as well.

Right on for the help everybody,it should turn out pretty good.......If I remember to think about it,ill take pictures for pron.

I'd bet that thinly sliced tri-tip would be good for cheese steaks as well!

I'm not gonna murder a ribeye for a cheesesteak. Eye-of-round or chuck mock tender steak both work well. I like to make them from deer meat, too-I'll put a small deer roast on my slicer when it's still half-frozen, they turn out great. I'm another provolone vote, too. American cheese/cheese whiz/velveta just drowns out the taste of the meat, peppers, and onions. I get mad when I'm at a fair or something and they have the cheesesteak cart, and it smells so great with the meat and peppers and onions cooking that I'll pay $8 for a sandwich, only to find that they put so much cheeze whiz junk on it that it just tastes exactly like a grilled cheese sammich.

Authentic Philly Cheesesteak is very thinly sliced ribeyes on amoroso rolls. Cheese it depends on who you talk too the 3 popular cheeses for Philly cheesesteaks are CheezWiz(The Wiz), Provolone, and American. Take your pic on which one you want to use. I personally like Cheez Wiz on my Cheesesteaks.

Authentic Philly Cheesesteak is very thinly sliced ribeyes on amoroso rolls. Cheese it depends on who you talk too the 3 popular cheeses for Philly cheesesteaks are CheezWiz(The Wiz), Provolone, and American. Take your pic on which one you want to use. I personally like Cheez Wiz on my Cheesesteaks.

This is correct. Believe me, it won't be right unless its ribeye thinly sliced cooked on a griddle surface. Be sure to cook onions in with the steak and use whiz (although the original is actually w/ provolone).

I'm with Casey and Big Mike. Ribeye shaved thin, provolone, a good roll, grilled onions, sometimes green peppers as well and mushrooms for me. Not a fan of the Pat's, Genos version and I don't eat cheese whiz on anything, ever.

Amarosa rolls are the original but as was mentioned expensive. If you don't have access to a slicer a good alternative is to get a good quality rare roast beef sliced thin at the deli. Chop it up and grill it on a flat top or grill pan with the veggies and when it's just about ready place your bun on top to steam, load evrything on and top with provalone and your good to go. I've done this numerous times and my guests love em. This is how they do them at Publix around here and although it might not be a true Philly style cheesesteak it's damn good.

A 'proper' cheesesteak uses Cheez Whiz. Provolone may make it a much better sammitch (and it does for many), but Cheez Whiz is needed for authenticity. Similarly, if you don't use that Amoroso bread, it's not authentic.

The original poster requested "authentic". If he meant 'best tasting', this thread is most helpful.

Similar to the oft-debated Chicago style pizza -- cornmeal in the dough or not? NO, if you want authentic. YES, if you want something that many believe improves on the original.

Back