• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What about chuck?

WareZdaBeef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Brisket it getting way too expensive lately and the flat ends are getting thinner and thinner with more fat cap then muscle. Im about ready to jump ship and get on the chuck wagon. Problem is im not a fan of shredded beef. I prefer sliced and/or chopped. I read guys who smoke chuck, shred it. Is it because the way the grain runs on a chuck roast and slicing just isnt possible without it being hard to chew? And if so, what about buying a whole chuck roll and cut it length wise in half so it can be sliced across the grain like brisket?

. Problem with smoking a chuckle, it's so tender, it would be hard to slice. Maybe if you let it cool, then slice it?

I cook it to 170 and slice it often. Same with butt. Sliced butt heated in some sauce makes a great sandwich. Sliced chuck is just flat out great. I've brought it to covered dish dinners and had people tell me it's some of the best brisket they've had.

I cook the chucks most of the time and instead of trying to slice them immediately, I let them cool. I can get uniform slices and I save all the juice off the meat to btw. After I slice it, I heat up a skillet with some oil, peppers, onions, etc. and when they get almost done I dump the chuck slices over in there and pour in all the drippings to reheat it in that mixture. Makes a mean sammich. My kids love it. A 3-5 lb chuckie will last exactly ONE meal with my little carnivores. LOL...

I cook it to 170 and slice it often. Same with butt. Sliced butt heated in some sauce makes a great sandwich. Sliced chuck is just flat out great. I've brought it to covered dish dinners and had people tell me it's some of the best brisket they've had.

Now that's funny

I don't see why you couldn't (or shouldn't) chop it if you would like to. However, I recently smoked my first butt and simply chopped the first section--didn't care for the result. Even though I deliberately tried to make it irregular, it came out with disagreeably "cubed" texture. I took the next section and first pulled it apart very roughly with a couple of forks, then chopped it (still coarsely)...that worked well.

Pulled at 170, do you find you need to slice it very thinly?

You can take a chuck hotter, into the 190f range and still slice it. Fall apart to the teeth, firm enough to cut.

Back