Got Bored, Mine As Well Try Smoking Cheese!

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finally tried some cold smoking! Went to the store and bought a soldering iron and some hickory chips. Threw em in the bottom of my WSM and let her rip. This really IS SIMPLE!

Ready to go
IMG_0221.jpg

Got some mild cheddar, pepper jack, colby jack, muenster, and some hot habanero cheese. Also put in a tray of kosher salt in there.
IMG_0223.jpg

An hour in, and this thing puts off no heat at all, still a chilly 43 degrees.
IMG_0227.jpg

No pic, but it was at this time I threw a stick of butter in there (why not right?)

Took the butter off after an hour, cheese off after 2.5 hours, and the salt is still in there, going on 4 hours now.

My buddy tried a piece of pepper jack so i followed suit, and man it was way too smokey, but than I tried a piece of cheddar and it was actually pretty good. Either way I cheapo vacuumed sealed them with my pump and we'll let them rest for a while and get a final verdict.

Thanks for looking!
IMG_0230.jpg

Yep, just did some last weekend. It was my first time trying the soldering iron and tin can technique. I will not be going back to old methods as this was way too easy. Definitely let the cheese mellow for a week or so.

You're hooked aren't you?? :mrgreen:

There are many nuances to smoking cheese so experiment with different brands, different types, different woods, different smoke generators, different smoke times, and different aging (mellowing) times.

I smoke cheese the same way. But, what is the purpose of the tray of kosher salt? What does that do?

Or, were you smoking the salt? If so, does it take on enough smoke to matter?

CD

I smoke cheese the same way. But, what is the purpose of the tray of kosher salt? What does that do?

Or, were you smoking the salt? If so, does it take on enough smoke to matter?

CD

Yeah smoking the salt to flavor it. I took it off after about 5 hours and it has some color and some flavor, hard to tell being in the smoke all day.

Good lookin' eats right there! You're going to fall in love with the whole cold smoke thing.

I've found that the harder cheeses like cheddar are good after two hours in my UCB and the gouda types run about one to 1.5 hours with cream cheese & Velveeta only taking about 45 minutes. YMMV :grin:.

Well crap now there is yet another thing I have to try smoking. :wink:

Good lookin' eats right there! You're going to fall in love with the whole cold smoke thing.

I've found that the harder cheeses like cheddar are good after two hours in my UCB and the gouda types run about one to 1.5 hours with cream cheese & Velveeta only taking about 45 minutes. YMMV :grin:.

Cream Cheese?!?! WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT!!:doh: That sounds great!

And yes I might be hooked, after I few drinks last night I want to try chocolate, and was even thinking spreading a thin layer of peanut butter on a sheet (or maybe some parchment paper) and smoking that? Smoked PB&J anyone?:-D

Looks great!! The smoke will definitely mellow over the next couple of weeks if it seems too strong right now...

Back