a hot dog tour of the US

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
so i decided i would recreate a sampling of some hotdogs from around the US. here's what i came up with.

i decided on a pinks chili cheese dog from LA., a texas fair cornie, a classic chicago dog, and a new york pushcart dog with onion sauce. i also added my own concoction, an oakridge habenero death dust coated dog with mayo and sweet onion relish.

here's some pics and commentary:

i mades ome simple hotdog chili. bacon and the grease to make a simple roux, some ground beef, beef broth, chili sauce, chili, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. a bit of vinegar and cayenne to boot.

hotdogs005_zps7b8c67a4.jpg

i also made some ny onion sauce. butter and sliced onions cooked down until brown and soft and then a bit of ketchup and cinnamon added along with some water. all stirred and simmered for about 20 minutes.

hotdogs004_zpsf17126bc.jpg

i also made a corn dog batter with corn meal, flour, egg, and milk with a bit of baking powder. a dash of sugar and cayenne added.

after that i assembled all my ingredients and equipment. i used two nathans natural casing dogs and 6 hebrew national. my two goto brands. sabretti is pretty darn good too.

hotdogs007_zpsc90cc1b9.jpg

hotdogs002_zps38e63d1f.jpg

hotdogs006_zps0729ae77.jpg

i slow roasted the dogs in my smoky joe until they started to sweat. lordy i love hot dogs....

hotdogs008_zps8fe4c2e0.jpg

i took some of grilled dogs then deep fried my texas cornies...there's only one cause my little girl ate the other two already!!!! :becky: with that, the cook was a success!

hotdogs010_zps2ef7b431.jpg

i then began assembly. from left to right.
pinks chili dog, a chicago dog with sport peppers, pickle, tomatoe, relish, mustard, and celery salt, a new york dog with spicy mustard and onions, my own HDD dog, and in front a classic texas cornie with mustard.

thanks for looking.

hotdogs012_zps539c57a8.jpg

hotdogs019_zpsc446e6b9.jpg

That is out-farkingstanding!

I'm assuming you've been to Pink's here in LA?

Now that is an excellent use of time and resources right there! :clap2:

Nice work - just beautiful! :thumb:

I'd hit those!

You really should get the neon green relish for the Chicago dog. Besides the color, it's a little sweeter then regular sweet relish.

thanks guys,i appreciate every word!

moose, i been to LA many times, but never got to eat at pinks...the line was always too darn long. the chili recipe seems to be quite a secret(unless you find where they buy it from, but i didn't have time get it shipped;)), so i used a tommy's burger chili clone. it was good with the dog. missing the brinyness of hearts and liver though....

overall it was a successfull day, my daughter had her first corn dog(actually TWO!)made by the one and only DAD.

and i had my first chicago dog, which i was susipicious of, but as it turns out was KILLER.

I'd hit those!

You really should get the neon green relish for the Chicago dog. Besides the color, it's a little sweeter then regular sweet relish.

caught that did ya? :icon_blush: no poppy seed bun either....:mmph:

They all looked good, can't wait to wrap my mouth around a Chicago dog next while on vacation.

We've got nothing like those downhere bro.:bow:
Nothing.
:Cry:

thanks guys,i appreciate every word!

moose, i been to LA many times, but never got to eat at pinks...the line was always too darn long. the chili recipe seems to be quite a secret(unless you find where they buy it from, but i didn't have time get it shipped;)), so i used a tommy's burger chili clone. it was good with the dog. missing the brinyness of hearts and liver though....

Pinks is not what it used to be. Back in the day, their menu was very simple, and they excelled at it. Now, they have ten jillion menu items and hot dog combos and they've gone downhill.

Regardless, your Tubesteak Tribute was simply EPIC.

Great work!

:clap:

Back