• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PID Controller for UDS

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm new here.....actually my first post other than an introduction in roll call.

I'l planning to build a UDS after reading some of the threads here. This likely isn't needed for a drum smoker to control temps (based on what I've read) but does anyone have a recommendation for a programmable PID controller for a drum smoker? I do control systems for a living so I've tuned lots of PID loops.......so I'm geeky enough to enjoy this wether it's needed or not.

Thanks, and look forward to hearing from you!

I am very happy with my PID controller from woodpelletsmoker. If you read the threads, there have been some complications with the wifi unit connecting to the internet and controlling the unit via the internet but as a stand alone PID controller, it is great. I have the Tiger version which has a remote which works great.

I shot woodpelletsmoker an e-mail with a few questions. We'll see what he has to say.

Sounds like the system with remote is ready to roll and the web enabled version needs to have a few kinks worked out. I would prefer the web enabled version if it controlled and monitored everthing the remote version does.

Well, I am not sure if he is producing the remote versions currently. From what I recall, he could only get the remote parts in bulk and would have to be able to sell 100 or more to make it worth its while. Honestly though, I have done several cooks since I got it and I really don't use the remote that much at all.

I use the Auber for my UDS and it works great. I broke the temp. probe, my fault, and they sent a new one no charge. People say the a UDS does not need a PID but I don't agree, it gives you confidence when you do a long cook overnight and don't have to worry about it so you can get some sleep. I use Royal Oak lump from WalMart with much better results than Kingsford briquettes because the RO does not leave much ash. Also, you don't need to get more than a half dozen started in the chimney before you dump on the unlit ones in the firebox. The Auber will bring it to temp but remember that it is easier to bring up temp. than bring down temp.

Back