Kalua Pig recipe needed

D

Dozer217

I usually use Hawaiian sea salt and wrap it in banana leaves then on to the smoker, anyone kick this up a notch or is this the tried and true method? I'll be doing 3 butts for the Easter family picnic.

I think you pretty much got it. I've seen recipes that call for using liquid smoke also. And one that has you brown it first. Browning first seems a little out there and untraditional, but you never know. When I made pork pabil I smoked the chunks of butt first then wrapped them in banana leaves, and sealed the whole thing with foil.
Here's the thread of mine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75018

Perfect except it's not smoked in Hawaii. Our resident Hawaiian brother Keale was very clear on that when i got instructions from him prior to cooking 120 lbs of the stuff for a church function.

The way we did it, there was little smoke flavor, there was a lot of smoke and steam, but, it was not in the meat. The meat is pretty separate from the smoke by the leaves. It is really slow roasted pork, not smoked. We did not kick it up, pretty much it was done the way the Hawaiians always did it. The Hawaiian salt was key according to them.

Back