Well, I survived Easter!

gayler

Reaction score
Ham wasn't as good as I hoped for, but wasn't as bad as it could have been! Came out a little dry but was good otherwise. Maybe if I could have let it rest for a while before slicing. How about you Guys and Girls?

I'm sorry to hear it was less than outstanding. However be sure to use it as a learning experience. First I suggest you report more detail on what you did - preparation, time, temperature, rest and so on. I can't help in this regard but I'm sure others here can suggest things to try next time.

I also highly recommend you keep some kind of organized notes that you can refer back to the next time you want to make a ham. Describe in sufficient detail what you did, what the results were and most important, what you would do differently next time. That will help move you toward much more satisfactory results. I blog all of my cooks so I can easily search the records and refer to my notes.

Thanks! This was a nine pound smoked ham,cooked at 275 in a pellet grill. Smoke was pecan pellets. I put it in a shallow pan with 1/2 inch water and cooked till 155F. I was running behind as usual and did not let it rest for more than ten min.

the resting probably hurt you. I usually rest for 30 minutes to an hour. I also heavily glaze mine so there is some extra juicyness added.

Back