MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rubs and Sauce

Wondering the process that those of you who compete use in finding the flavor profiles for each of the meat categories. I've seen individuals use one rub exclusively, and then I know others who use certain rub(s) for each category combined with others example I really like The Slabs rubs combined with others like the Slabs Chicken Rub and Plowboys Yardbird.

Just wondering what the opinions of those here use, how you come to the conclusion what to use and what you have found that works. I ask because I'm in the middle of writing an article for my blog on the subject.
For me I look for flavor profiles for each category that compliment the meat. Sometimes I use one in others I use combinations. Sauce is still hit and misses, but I have found a recipe that I like and have worked well this year for us. What has or is working for you???

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I use slabs w homebbq.com
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

A couple of times each year we have a team cook where we'll cook like 4 briskets
using 4 different rub variations and/or injection variations. We'll usually cook 4 to
6 pork shoulders doing the same. Ribs too, about 6 slabs of ribs.

Then when done we come inside and I usually have 15 to 20 sauces mixed up and
we have a tasting party. Pull this and dip that type of thing. I remember the first
time we did this the things we though would go well together DIDN'T and it ended up
with a mixture of a few things we did more of on a whim worked great for us.

For us, over the last 3 years or so we've gotten it down to 1 rub (varied for brisket,
but I wont tell what the difference is) and varied sauces for the different meats.

Last time or two we've ended up pretty much where we were previously. Guess we
now have our preferences. However, we still do this, if for nothing else than to have
a taste testing party. I usually do this just before the 4th of July. That way when
we have our 4th of July party we'll use the extra sauces so that we can use them up.
Plus, for sauces, it gives us another group (60 or so folks) to taste test and tell
us what they think. Kinda wild too, because the more varied the sauces the more
varied the opinions. I've learned the most subjective piece are the sauce flavors.
You can't please everyone with one sauce. We generally get a consensus, and this
past year the 60% percentile was with what we (the team) had chosen. However,
the other 40% were all over the place. That'll teach me to add in mustard sauces!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Chuck,

I mix and match rubs to my own personal taste preferences. For my ribs, I use a combo of 2-3 different rub manufacturers, and same goes for pork. For brisket, I have a favorite, as I do chicken ...so I do not mix.

As for sauces, I blend as well. Blues Hog is good, but it is overdone. So sometimes I use BH mixed with something else, or I try a different brand. Some of my favorites are Cookie's, The Slabs, Spicewine Blue Collar, Head Country, Grandma's, and Mean Dean's.

Whatever combos you used at Dillon, I would repeat that process weekly

See you again soon.

Kevin
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
Chuck,

I mix and match rubs to my own personal taste preferences. For my ribs, I use a combo of 2-3 different rub manufacturers, and same goes for pork. For brisket, I have a favorite, as I do chicken ...so I do not mix.

As for sauces, I blend as well. Blues Hog is good, but it is overdone. So sometimes I use BH mixed with something else, or I try a different brand. Some of my favorites are Cookie's, The Slabs, Spicewine Blue Collar, Head Country, Grandma's, and Mean Dean's.

Whatever combos you used at Dillon, I would repeat that process weekly

See you again soon.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin I think we have found what is working for us and we have been consistant all year. Just wanted to see how many people use more then one rub or a combo of to see the diffrence.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

as long as the meat is cooked to perfection it seems to me the seasoning and sauces become secondary--just as long as they don't over power the meat--but of course cooking the meat perfectly on a regular basis ain't easy so good seasoning combo sure can help the finished product
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fat View Post
as long as the meat is cooked to perfection it seems to me the seasoning and sauces become secondary--just as long as they don't over power the meat--but of course cooking the meat perfectly on a regular basis ain't easy so good seasoning combo sure can help the finished product
excellent !.. I just wonder how many people will pay attention to that statement.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
excellent !.. I just wonder how many people will pay attention to that statement.

hopefully not many.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Buzz taught me this a long time ago. This is the truth.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a pork rub, a chicken rub and a brisket rub.

I have a chicken brine, and pork injection and a beef injection.

That being said, I suck. So, take that as you will.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Buzz is WAY off, I wouldn't listen to him

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=PimpSmoke;1379826]I got a pork rub, a chicken rub and a brisket rub.

I like your brisket rub!