Meat slicer

Diesel Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a slicer for some time now.
So I'm thinking a bit more seriously now that we'll be getting the trailer and have a lot more catering coming up.
It's primary use will be for thin slicing/shaving brisket for sandwiches and dinner plates.

I'm wondering what type/model any of you are using

thanks

I have a Globe and a Berkel. The Berkel is better built and much easier to clean.

To be fair the Globe is a fully automatic slicer and is about 8 years old, and weighs about 200+ pounds. The Berkel can be automatic or manual weighs considerably less and I use this slicer all the time. I only keep the Globe as a back-up, or when I am having a community event.

Thanks a lot!

I really appreciate the help on this. I'll check into the Berkel

A friend just bought a new Globe, it has some odd quirks in terms of cleaning. Not enough to earn a person off. But, the Berkel sounds like a better choice

I would check auctions in your area or CL.
Not sure how far you are willing to drive, but found this one in Toledo. The thing
about these is that they are a life time investment. You will be able to get parts for years.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/bfs/5120593512.html

The one that you have listed is a cheap version of a slicer. I am using a 70 year old Globe that I can still get parts for.

Thanks

Toledo isn't that far I'll check out the link now

Also the thing is this will be used on the trailer and space is going to be an important thing. So in this case size will matter

Honestly if you have one, you will find more uses for it than just slicing brisket. You can buy cheese in bulk and slice it. I buy provolone in full logs and slice it myself. It is about $.30 cheaper that way. The nice thing is that if you have something that is long and uniform, you will be able to portion it easily.

Those look to be some great slicers. But the price is a bit higher then I'd like to pay.

At Webstraunt store they have an Avantco slicer that seems to be a more light duty slicer, but I don't think I'll be pushing it to it's limits just slicing brisket.....or will I?

ETA: here's a link
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

I have had a 10" Avantco for several years and it has served me well.
Plenty of power and capacity for it's size.
Relatively easy to clean.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html

It is obviously made by Globe and store branded.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/globe-chefmate-c10-10-manual-gravity-feed-slicer-1-4-hp/377C10.html

There are some minor differences in the posted specs, but clearly siblings if not twins.
HUGE difference in price. 8)

Good luck.

TIM

Thanks a lot Kapn!! :thumb:

I need a slicer and the cost will help with other things we still need

I've used that exact one, it works fine I've cut alot of tri tip up on that one and a case or 2 brisket, I was borrowing it to see if I wanted to go with a slicer. It works good, and had zero issues with it. I've got nothing else to compare it to so can't tell you if its better then a more expensive one. If I was a bit busier Id have one!

Clint

Slicing brisket cold?
Then how do you reheat it?
Why wouldn't you slice it and serve fresh?

Thanks Clint :thumb:

Ummm where did anyone say anything about slicing cold brisket?

Diesel, I can definitely understand a budget not allowing for a full blown commercial slicer up front. As others have stated, the one you are looking at will probably serve you well for now. We started out with a similar piece of equipment. We also set up our ongoing budget with a line item of capital retention specifically for purchasing a commercial unit later (about 4 years later :mrgreen:).

As others have stated, the benefits of this type of equipment is:

1) Longevity; It will virtually never wear out in the lifetime of our business

2) Ease of cleaning; The majority of commercial units are specifically engineered for easy disassembly and cleaning

3) Availability of parts.

Check Craig's List, you can find some used slicers in like new condition at a great price.

What would be the difference in slicing brisket at serving temp with a slicer compered to an electric knife or a standard knife?

Arthur Bryant's thin slices their brisket on a slicer and serves it on white bread, and its fan-farking-tastic. I always thought it was a brilliant way to use the flat.. Haven't tried it yet but have been meaning to. I always thought that if you undercooked it a little bit, it would shave real nice.

Dave, I have a couple industrial slicers that I found as "bargains" on CL and they are usually bargains for a reason.. If you're serious about having one of these for your business, I wouldn't skimp on it. A good slicer is worth every penny. The ones you're looking at are nice, but 1 really think a 9" blade is going to be too small for you...The tray too. You probably want a 10-12".

Actually, I have an older Berkel I'll sell ya for a song if you just want something to get your feet wet with, see how you like it. It may give you more insight into exactly what you need..

Back