Your time and temp for great brisket for the masses?

DR

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am really used to cooking comp style and not too versed on cooking great briskets for the masses. I was wondering what your time and temp line is to produce the best brisket when you are cooking for a bunch of people?

I would still cook them the same as I would for 1 brisket. Low and slow 250-275 for how ever long it takes. I know this doesn't answer th time question hat just depends on the size of the briskets.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Cook'em just like competition as far as temps and time. I cook them identically except for injecting and OCD trimming.

• Thanks
Cook at your preferred temperature, and allow for enough time to get them all cooked. When you cook more than one hunk of meat, the timing will always vary, there will always be a progression of meat coming off the cooker.

There is no magic number, unless you own The Taylor Cafe.

• Thanks
Yeah i usually like about 275 for 6-7 hours but wasn't sure if others like different times and temps for the public or for bigger cooks.

So far I've been cooking them like a comp brisket @ 250 until they are done. I've been trimming the fat but not as much as I do for a comp. I have still been injecting but would like to get away from this step as a time & cost saver. Truth be told I've been nervous about eliminating the injection. Not to hijack the thread, but can anybody share their experience regarding not injecting?

• Thanks
So far I've been cooking them like a comp brisket @ 250 until they are done. I've been trimming the fat but not as much as I do for a comp. I have still been injecting but would like to get away from this step as a time & cost saver. Truth be told I've been nervous about eliminating the injection. Not to hijack the thread, but can anybody share their experience regarding not injecting?

Hijack away my man as i would like to hear the answer as well. Most of what i have searched shows that most don't inject because most of it is squeezed out as the meat constricts. I was dead set on injecting the meats at my Dads big bday party, but have talked myself out of it.

Hijack away my man as i would like to hear the answer as well. Most of what i have searched shows that most don't inject because most of it is squeezed out as the meat constricts. I was dead set on injecting the meats at my Dads big bday party, but have talked myself out of it.

We no longer inject briskets due to the reasons you state and the fact that the muscle tissue is denser and the injection tends to NOT distribute very far within.

We DO still inject butts. The pork muscle is more porous and allows the injection to distribute through the meat and holds it in through the cook process.

Ensuring the your injection has some salt dissolved in it will help it to stay in and be absorbed by the meat rather than be forced out by the constriction. We also inject about 30+ minutes prior to beginning the cook process to allow for good distribution and absorption.

I also have quit injecting brisket. I've been told by the folks that eat my food they can't tell the difference. Also it has cut the cook time down by about an hour +/-
Also, I trim much less, only the hard fat for the most part.

If I'm going to hold them for a long period I take them only to 195 as I know that they will continue to steam and carry-over. However, like others have stated, if I am going to use them all immediately, then I cook no different than I would at a contest. 203-205 or probe tender.

We cooked for 2 medium size groups last week, 5 briskets for each. Day 1, no injection. Day 2, our normal Butcher's Prime Injection. Same cooker, same meat (Swift 1855 high-end choice, wet-aged 5 weeks), same rub, same method.

Day 2's briskets were a little better. A little more moist in the flat.

I'm going to keep doing the testing and see.

When I get a real cooler, I'm going to test dry-brining 24-36 hours out. Can't wait!

really depends on what you're cooking on. if i'm in my FEC's....it's very low 200's and almost 16 hours. if i'm in my spicewine, it's almost 300 degrees for 5-6hours. cookers vary, cuts vary, there's no definitive answer to this.

Time and temp just like I do for comps, 325 till they are done, I do wrap but don't inject or trim heavy like I would for comps.

Clint

• Thanks
Back