Texas Crutch?

daedalus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
There was some talk on another tread about this thing that has become know as the "Texas Crutch", which essentially means to wrap your meat in foil for part of its cooking time. I didnt want to hijack that thread, but I thought that this was an interesting topic.

Personally, I have never understood the reference to wrapping in foil as a "Crutch". In my opinion, unless a person is doing bbq by draping meat over a rudementry support system of roughly hewn sticks over a pit dug in the ground full of wood that has been burned down to embers, then they are using crutches. Our fancy metal welded "pits"(half of which are tuned to the point that they may as well be ovens), are crutches. Our thermometers are crutches. I doubt that our ansesters gloved up before slicing a brisket with a knife sharpened by a laser on plastic cutting board resting on a stainless steel table. Personally, I LIKE crutches as they relate to bbq...they make things safer,cleaner, easier, and most importantly, more accessible to more people. If the only way to create great Q was to undergo years of exhaustive apprenticeship, there would be a lot less great food out there.

Nothing wrong with foil. Sometimes i use it, sometimes i don't. It is a tool.

I think a little bathroom reading will shed some knowledge on this subject:

(Courtesy of BackYardChef)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13767&highlight=Texas+Crutch

I think it is funny how BYC first joined in 2004 and posted that in October of 2005 and said he was "new here". Times change.

As to the foil thang, as a comparison, I wonder what % of BBQers inside and outside the state of Texas use foil. I am guessing the numbers are the same.

I use it, often.

Another of the great debates... Use whatever works for you.

I never have used it. Paul Kirk calls it the Texas Crutch, too. I never understood the need for it. Not a fan of braising or steaming my meat, which is what happens in that foil pouch. Reminds me too much a local BBQ restaurant.

I wrap in foil when they are done, but I don't cook with it. 5-6 hours until they are done.

But, again, do whatever works for you.

Here we go again! Use what ever makes your Q worthy.

Just do it: pellets, sticks, gas, sauce, rub, 3 2 1, 2 3 .5, minion method, weed burner, chimmney Just do it.

Don't Use: boiling meat, lighter fluid, use four year old briskets:tongue:

Back