1st try at smoked meatloaf...

snowbound

Found some matches.
Reaction score
After going through most of the "usual suspects" on my new smoker this summer as a fledgling "smoker guy" - salmon, chicken quarters, pork shoulder, brisket - I decided it was time to experiment with one of my absolute favorite foods in the world. A old-fashioned, all-American, granny would be proud... Meatloaf!!!*

I'm convinced that the dour-faced members of the "Yuck. I hate meatloaf." crowd were subjected to an inferior product during their formative years (Yup. I'm blamin' your Mama) and subsequently have never experienced true meatloaf bliss. Moist yet firm, a collage of flavors, the tender crust... Yes, it's truly a meat symphony for the palate!!! Ok, maybe I've strayed a bit or become a little excited, you get my point.**

Anyway, there's a place in town that serves a tasty smoked meatloaf - it's even been featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives". Great stuff, but it made me want to experience Chris's meatloaf recipe in a smoker. Hers starts out with a mixture of lean ground beef, spicy Italian sausage (cases removed), finely minced onions, minced Cremini mushrooms and a couple of peeled, seeded and diced Anaheim or Pasilla green chiles.

9548099003_20aa0b7a89_c.jpg

Then "everyone in the pool!" with fresh bread crumbs, fresh basil, grated parmigiano reggiano, a couple of eggs, a small can of tomato paste, garlic, oregano, a pinch of salt and a healthy grind of black pepper.*

9550886216_41e3e5ea02_c.jpg

After some serious "hand-to-hand combat" to properly mix all the ingredients, the meat-monster is transferred to a oiled pan (for obvious reasons, I prefer a disposable foil pan) and shaped into a proper loaf.*

9550885158_c04276a2cf_c.jpg

Into the smoker, which has been pre-heated to 250 degrees. This is a higher temp than I've commonly used when smoking meats, but we are dealing with ground meats. All my resources pointed to 250, so who am I to argue with other's successes?*

9550883696_6164e521a3_c.jpg

Close the barn door and let the chips - I went with apple wood - fall where they may. I added wood chips every 30 minutes for the 1st 1 1/2 hours. At two hours I opened the smoker and QUICKLY basted the meatloaf with the pan juices with a turkey baster and then removed most all the drippings with the baster. Mushrooms generate a lot of liquid and we prefer a firmer, crustier meatloaf rather than stewing it in its own juices.*

9550882832_68eba62607_c.jpg

Sam guarding the smoker. He knows that it means he'll be getting a bite or five. Chris spoils him...*

9548093669_c9df80ba22_c.jpg

3 hours in the smoker and the internal temperature is at 160-165. Time for a grand entrance!!! A 15-20 minute rest and it's time to slice & serve.

9548092561_c3bafa201d_c.jpg

The final plated product. Seriously, is there anything that spells COMFORT FOOD better than meatloaf, real mashed potatoes & gravy and home-grown green beans?*

9550879342_f712063350_c.jpg

All the effort was totally worth it as I heard those two words that every cook loves to hear...*

"Best Ever!!!"*

Snow

Looks great! I haven't tried smoked meatloaf yet but it is definitely on my to do list.

You can take the same meatloaf you been eatin for years and put a lil smoke to it and it takes it up a couple notches... Looks good

We love meatloaf off of the smoker or grill! Yours looks great!

Is there any other combination that goes together as well as these 3 (meatloaf, mash potatoes, & green beans). I think when someone says they are having meatloaf; you can bet what the sides will be.

Good looking stuff. Will be making Saturday

That is the most terrible looking meatloaf I have seen. I need to taste test it to confirm my initial reaction to the pictures and then dispose of it. :tongue:

Just kidding. That looks great and I want some!

Looks good! Meatloaf is one of those things I've been able to use as a go to for weekday smokage! :D I typically run 275 for about 2.5 hours. I have to go cook some now!

Meatloaf, tators & gravy . . . Oh My!

You're killing me here! :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Looks Good !!! Meatloaf off the smoker is the only way to make it. We haven't had one in the oven, since I smoked my first one.

Back