MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My 12 lb. Christmas rib roast

Reverse sear for the win!

I have done quite a few rib roasts but this one turned out just the way I wanted.

Started with a 12.35 lb. choice rib roast from the neighborhood grocery store.
I called on Friday to make sure I could pick up a 5 bone roast on Saturday. Butcher had it waiting for me.

On Sunday afternoon I cut off the strings (butcher had cut off the bones and retied) so I could dry brine with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and then added a bit of fresh rosemary. Retied the bones on afterward and left uncovered in the bottom of my fridge.

Next time I will trim the fat down a bit more.

On Christmas morning I pulled the roast from the fridge and left it on the counter while we unwrapped presents. At 9 am I fired up my cooker and got it running at 225F. Roast went on around 9:30 am.

One other thing I would do differently next time is to get the roast out of the fridge earlier. I probably pulled it out around 7:30 but the two hours wasn't enough. The center of the roast was very cold -- one hour in and it was still at 36F. And another hour in it had barely risen above 40F.

Here's the outside around 2 hours in the cooker:

I boosted the cooker temp to 250F, and around 2:15 the roast IT hit 120F. We had to travel about an hour to the inlaws so I pulled the roast out when it hit 123F, did a quick double wrap in tin foil with the ends somewhat open and put the roast in a foil pan in the bottom of my cooler. About an hour later we arrived at the inlaws and they had their propane gasser on high. I did a quick check of the roast IT with my Thermopen -- it was probing between 135 and 140 in various spots. The dome thermo said it the gasser was 700F+, so I left the lid open for a few seconds and then threw the roast in to blast it with a final sear. I put the foil the roast had been wrapped in underneath the roast since the flames started licking the meat almost instantly as the fat dripped down. After about 7 minutes I turned off the gasser and took the roast into the house.

Family wasn't quite ready to sit down at the table, so I tried to hide my frustration as the roast started to get cold. With the hour rest it already had while we traveled, I wanted to get that roast sliced and on plates. But after a short delay, we sliced and sat down to one of the best edge-to-edge pink roasts I have ever done.

Thanks for looking!
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good, nice job!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #3
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Great job, especially with the travelling involved.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Terry. The travel doesn't phase me -- we've done it with a rib roast in a cooler three times now and its always worked out. But ideally I would prefer to rest it only around 30 minutes before the final sear -- I feel like the meat isn't as hot inside as I'd like it. But perhaps that's more a function of my inability to force my wife's family to sit down to the table when the food is ready
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen

Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Perfectly cooked YUM
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

That's some serious skill....especially with the traveling added....

Old 12-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Done perfect! Love the end to end pink
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
so I tried to hide my frustration as the roast started to get cold.
and then I got a cold beer.....
I understand that frustration, you work to get things perfect, and
people just don't get it.
I think it looks fabulous. Next time, bring KFC to get their attention.

[edit - but I agree, I am getting that fat off of there, even opening up the flap to get it out, since you are tying it up anyway.]

What did the people think? Any "Thank Yous?"
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Smokeymagoo
On the road to being a farker

I just took a bite out of my screen.
Smokeymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks incredible. Great job.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
and then I got a cold beer.....
I understand that frustration, you work to get things perfect, and
people just don't get it.
I think it looks fabulous. Next time, bring KFC to get their attention.

[edit - but I agree, I am getting that fat off of there, even opening up the flap to get it out, since you are tying it up anyway.]

What did the people think? Any "Thank Yous?"
One thing my inlaws are good at, its "thank yous". They really know how to ooh and aah. They absolutely gushed over how much they loved the meat. That's one of the reasons I enjoy cooking for them - they are very appreciative and complimentary. I tend to be very self-critical about things I could do better -- but even when I don't nail it, they tell me its the best thing they've ever eaten.

Next time I'll get that fat off there. I learn a few things every time I cook.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
That's one of the reasons I enjoy cooking for them - they are very appreciative and complimentary. I tend to be very self-critical about things I could do better
Can I get an amen...same boat here. I could absolutely nail a cook and while everyone that has some of it raves about how great it is, I sit there and try to find out what's wrong with it......

Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
boomers bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ADAM

that looks perfect, great job.
boomers bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

You are a very lucky guy. My step son is always telling me what great meat he and his neighbor cook in their eggs. Their favorite rub is BS. My MIL is always comparing my cooks to various restaurants in town. Most of them have been closed for several years.

I'm really glad that I have friends and neighbors who like my cooking. The family sucks.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

I'm doing one Sunday and hope it's half as good as that looks.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote