MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Default Catering menu/packages

Morning,
Been thinking of different ways of selling catering, specifically for drop-off or pick-up. Wondering if yall sell priced per person, or do any of you sell bulk or packages? I'm thinking a package of pork or chicken with 2 sides feeds 70-80ppl for $XXX, and package number w is 2 meats and 4 sides for $XXX. Or offering bulk pricing for drop offs, 10lbs of pork is $XX, 1 pan of mac and cheese is $XX and feeds X number of ppl.
Mostly looking at grad parties or corporate lunches, if any service is needed then custom price per person.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

I always thought doing drop off or pickup by the person could disappoint a buyer. I sold by the pound after explaining/discussing how much of each item the buyer wanted to offer. We even talked about hogs throwing the portions way off and that most guests at graduations were going to visit multiple locations and not enjoy a regular serving. Only had a couple buyers disappointed in 12 years but found out their kid wasn't as popular as they thought
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

We offer drop off by either meals where the client tells us what they want and then we calculate the servings based on how many people they are feeding or bulk drop off where they save a little money and buy sides by the half or full pan and buy the meats by the lb. If they choose the bulk option they have to buy all the meat cooked. Example- client wants 10 lbs of brisket. They get the option to "Go Light" or "Go Heavy" If they choose Go Light then I'll cook one brisket and it may end up 7-9 lbs of meat. If they choose to Go Heavy then I'll cook two briskets and the final weight might be 14-18lbs and they pay per lb based on the final cooked weight.

I started this option last year and I have found that if you let the client choose what they want with a guideline of how many people a pound of meat will feed and or a pan of sides they will order more food this way and a sale that would have been $700 when they order based on guest count and we figure the portions turns into a $900-$1100 order. So for us it's worked out well offering it both ways and letting the client choose.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I was going to use number of servings vs feeds number of ppl, and base it between 1/4 - 1/3 lbs equals a serving of meat. If they feel their guests will eat 2 servings, then like you said, HBMTN, more likely to order more. Glad you've both had success with this, thank you for the feedback
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
I was going to use number of servings vs feeds number of ppl, and base it between 1/4 - 1/3 lbs equals a serving of meat. If they feel their guests will eat 2 servings, then like you said, HBMTN, more likely to order more. Glad you've both had success with this, thank you for the feedback
Yes, our per-person meal options state they get 5oz of pork and 4oz of each side per person and if they feel some guests will eat heavy then they should consider ordering extra. Like if they are feeding 20 people then consider ordering for 25 people. For bulk, we state a half pan has 25 4oz servings and a full pan has 50 4oz servings of each side.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
Morning,
Been thinking of different ways of selling catering, specifically for drop-off or pick-up. Wondering if yall sell priced per person, or do any of you sell bulk or packages? I'm thinking a package of pork or chicken with 2 sides feeds 70-80ppl for $XXX, and package number w is 2 meats and 4 sides for $XXX. Or offering bulk pricing for drop offs, 10lbs of pork is $XX, 1 pan of mac and cheese is $XX and feeds X number of ppl.
Mostly looking at grad parties or corporate lunches, if any service is needed then custom price per person.
I think bulk packaging is the way to go for pick-up/ drop off. You could even offer 1/2 pans of extra add ons to push if a customer wants to go a little heavier. For custom service I would settle on a % and just apply it to the total package (20% for full set up/service etc).

I have a bunch of buddies managing corporate chain restos and they have all increased sales dramatically adding drop off catering. People love the ease of it and even if it's not fancy they feel pampered. Nobody thinks they have time for anything anymore so capitalize on it!

I'm developing a menu plan using bulk packaging- modeled much like these chains and looking to implement it out of a small commercial space. I have a ton of drug rep contacts that will give me good business and a pretty good following after a couple popups and catering gigs. Now if I could just find a space located close to everything....
BuffaloDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
BrandonBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brandon

I do usually do catering per person based on if they just want food dropped off vs needing everything else

2 meats 2 sides (pulled pork, chicken, pork tenderloins) $17/person
2 meats 2 sides (brisket, pulled pork, tenderloins, chicken) $20/person
2 meats 2 sidesn(ribs, brisket, pulled pork, tenderloins, chicken) $22/person

18% service charge
+ delivery fee

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[B]On the 24' porch trailer:[/B]
Stumps XL Stretch

[B]On the patio:[/B]
BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B
BrandonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote