Kingsford Comp vs Pro

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve been out of the loop for a while, so apologies if this has already been discussed. Has anyone tried the KF Pro charcoal? I was a fan of the Comp and a bit surprised to see it changed. Wasn’t sure if this was simply a rebranding or if there were any changes of note. I’d been using Comp on my drums for quite some time and really happy with it. I noticed on the Pro label it mentions something about burning hotter. I assumed that was to try and make it more appealing to ceramic cooker users? Other than that, has anyone noticed any real changes? THANKS and happy (almost) 4th!

I've been buying the Pro since my Costco carries it. Haven't tried the Comp because I've never seen it in my area.
Personally, I can't tell any difference in the Pro vs the regular Kingsford.

I've been buying the Pro since my Costco carries it. Haven't tried the Comp because I've never seen it in my area.
Personally, I can't tell any difference in the Pro vs the regular Kingsford.

Except for the inflated price.

Pro = Comp - it's just a rebrand. I found that Pro/comp burned hotter and much faster than KBB, and with less ash. Good for grilling hot, but not so good for low-n-slow. If I remember correctly, Pro also put out a ton more smoke when initially lit.

Except for the inflated price.

It's cheaper than the regular stuff at Wally World or Kroger when not on sale. I avoid Wally World like the plague.
If the 2 were side by side, I'd pick whichever were less expensive.
Kroger has had the ~18lb bags of KBB for $11.99 all spring, just saw it drop to $5.99 in the last week. Seems they weren't selling much. But now, it's been moved around the store so many times, all the bags are looking beat and I imagine the briquettes are mostly dust.
Cheapest in my area is Royal Oak. ~$6/bag. Cooks just fine, but leaves a ton of ash. Not really an issue on the Weber, pretty easy to dump the ash.
On a longer cook, I can see where it may be a problem choking the fire.
I did pick up a bag of RO Lump a while back, biggest lumps I've ever seen. Some won't fit into the chimney.
So far, no trash either. But I'm not to the bottom of the bag yet.

EDIT: upStomp, Now I'm curious, I may have to do a side by side comparison this weekend!

Back