Yep. I don't think I've ever had mace in my spice cabinet before. It's like a combination of clove and orange peel. Quite intriguing, and definitely will be used again!!!:thumb::thumb:

I found out by accident that it boosted the flavor of my BBQ sauce. 2 of us were cooking in my kitchen one day and Connie sat the Mace next to the spice I was about to use and without looking I added Mace to my sauce, I ran with it and now it is always added to my BBQ sauce.

G'Day Bruces'

Well, I finally pulled my finger out and got my entry ready.

Pubs in Australia are a great tradition. In fact, there are a lot places that are names as towns on the map, that are nothing but a Pub and a Church!

Firstly, I took a menu from a local Melbourne Pub, the Terminus in Abbotsford. I chose this hotel, because its one of the oldest in Melbourne and Abbotsford is the origin of our Carlton and United Breweries, which manufacture (amongst other decent beers) Farkin' Fosters Lager... which is Australian for "Swill".

Anyway, I digress... but first, log on here to get a feel for our Aussie Beer Drinking customs...

So, on the menu, I saw one thing that stood out... the "Termi Steak Sandwich"

So, I thought I would make a Termi Steak Sandwich, but meld it with time honoured low and slow USA BBQ cooking techniques...

So here goes:

First, I rubbed some chuck with Dizzy Pig Red eye Express... and fridged it overnight...
DSC_0066_1568.jpg

I also decided to make my own bread for this one...
DSC_0126_1625.jpg

DSC_0068_1570.jpg

In the afternoon, I firstly seared the chuckies for some lovely colour...
DSC_0073_1572.jpg

Then I warmed up some beef stock and onions..
DSC_0078_1577.jpg

And then set the temp to 250 and cooked indirect for a lot of hours with lump and some peach wood sticks
DSC_0082_1581.jpg

A lot later....
DSC_0084_1583.jpg

The sliced up some of my home smoked canadian bacon, and fried up some eggs...
DSC_0087_1586.jpg

Looking GOOOD! The idea for replacing a porterhouse cut, with a cut of chuck, was to make a steak sandwich that was just totally tender and "bite through" That's something you just don't get with a steak sammich in Australia...

THIS was tender!
DSC_0094_1593.jpg

Here's some I pulled, just to show how tender... love the colour!
DSC_0102_1601.jpg

Oh, and here's a bit more Slim Dusty.

Ingredients ready!
DSC_0092_1591.jpg

This one was for Suzanne...
DSC_0098_1597.jpg

And this one for me!
DSC_0109_1608.jpg

A nice stack!
DSC_0110_1609.jpg

DSC_0113_1612.jpg

And finally, I had this with an Abbotsford Invalid Stout, names after the suburb in Melbourne where it was first produced!
DSC_0120_1619.jpg

As for the Termi Steak Sandwitch itself... I think if I served this to to an Aussie, they'd be bloody amazed. The flavour of the beef with the Dizzy pig was really powerful, and the tenderness is something that you just don't get out of a regular grilled steak at all! I need to work on the bread a bit, but it was fun.

Hope you guys like it... a bit of Australia with a low and slow touch... REAL Pub Food!

Chris... not sure which pic to use for the TD... can you pick from the last 2 please!

Cheers!

Bill
looks tasty:clap2:

Back