first wsm cook pics chicken

realspaazz

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Howdy Brethren, I just finished my first cook on my new (to me) wsm. Two whole chickens marinated in orange juice for about an hour, then rubbed with Lisy red fajita seasoning (I know that the family loves this stuff), then mounted on a couple of cheap vertical racks. I put a bunch of sweet potatoes on the bottom rack and the chickens and their necks and giblets on the top rack. I smoked at 225F for until internal temp in the thigh got to 160F then opened the vents and let her run to 275F. I cooked until the thigh temp was 180F. It was as good as any bbq chicken I have ever had... far better than most. The sweet potatoes were wonderful. My dear wife asked about doing the thanksgiving turkey on the smoker, because the chicken was so good. I certainly have some learning to do as had a few temp fluctuations and my thermometer (taylor 817-4L) shut off a few times, but I am impressed with the wisdom already learned at this site. Lookin forward to chicken salad sammies tomorrow night from the leftovers!
Megan401.jpg

Looks like you got it. That thre is soem fine lookin' eats ya got :thumb: Never thought about using the bottom rack for sweet taters...mmmmmmmmmmm, will have to try that.

Realspazz those look great.:clap2: What did you use the necks and giblets for? Gravy?For turkeys most usually brine and this works well on most all poultry. Try it with your chicken when you get a chance it works great.

To post multiple pictures per post just include them one after another. Not sure if you use an image hosting site or the "attach files" in the "additional options" below the "reply to thread box" that we type our posts in. I just upload as many as I plan on posting in the same post and it works fine. I normally use a photo bucket account if I want to add text in between photos. But the "attach files works great to take them directly from your computer. Keep in mind it does take a few minutes to do this so just be patient. This info can also be found in the "FAQ" section at the top left of all pages. Hope this helps. Vince

Nice work on the wsm!:thumb:

Vince, I just ate the necks and giblets. some of the tastiest meat of the bird is on the necks, especially after low and slow. The giblets and livers were almost overdone, a sort of jerky like consistency, but the smoke overcame all of that iron/mineral taste that can be common in organ meat. I think that I am going to have to smoke up a batch of chicken livers, or hearts, or giblets as a meal all by themselves. It will be a hard sell for the family, but I can give them something else.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...... those are some fine looking yardbirds.....mmmmmmmmmmmm :clap2:
Ron L ..... your right it dose look like 2 Sumo wrestlers :-D

Great color on those Yard Birds, super lookin' cook Realspaazz!

Sounds and looks great! Can't wait to try the orange juce. Never tried that before.

I love the colour you got on those twins. May have to try some myself.

those birds were so good that next time there will be four sumo wrestlers!!
:becky::becky::becky:
Tonight I picked the leftovers and made horseradish orange chicken salad.
:thumb: there were no leftovers this time.

Back