Rookie Boxes

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Did a practice comp in my backyard Friday night into Saturday. Getting ready for my first official competition on July 11th. Wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on my boxes. Haven't had the pleasure of doing my own yet other than helping out at a couple of comps with some friends........so I know I need plenty of help!! No pics of pork box since I am leaving that in the hands of a friend who doesn't think he needs to practice :eek::shock: We are experimenting with a couple of different rubs/sauces on the chicken. The ones in the back row are different from the front row.

Thanks for all the help!

027-4.jpg

037-3.jpg

047-1.jpg

July 11th? You must be going to Ankeny. See you there.

My opinions -

I think the greens look good on all of them but as far as the meat goes.

Try to even out color on the chicken. ie: you have some dark spots.

If your going to place a rib to show the meat like that one on the bottom. Be sure they are moist and get the one with a good smoke ring. I know they're not suppose to judge on the smoke ring but if it's there, it sure helps.

For the brisket, make sure you have the fat trimmed off. It looks like there is a layer of fat on the top.

July 11th? You must be going to Ankeny. See you there.

My opinions -

I think the greens look good on all of them but as far as the meat goes.

Try to even out color on the chicken. ie: you have some dark spots.

If your going to place a rib to show the meat like that one on the bottom. Be sure they are moist and get the one with a good smoke ring. I know they're not suppose to judge on the smoke ring but if it's there, it sure helps.

For the brisket, make sure you have the fat trimmed off. It looks like there is a layer of fat on the top.

I'd ditto all of this 100%.. when it comes to trimmin' the fat off yer briskets, do it while prepping.. BBQ_mayor meant that, but didn't say it. just be carefull !!..

I'd ditto all of this 100%.. when it comes to trimmin' the fat off yer briskets, do it while prepping.. BBQ_mayor meant that, but didn't say it. just be carefull !!..

Your right. Thanks for pointing that out Podge.

I wouldn't trim the brisket fat. place your slices fat side down. Hide the fat on the first slice with garnish or trim it after you slice. That little bit of fat has a lot of flavor in it.

I would NEVER put a rib on edge like that.

Pat -

Chicky: I like the top ones better, color & texture look more even.
Ribs: Too much green & 1 piece looks skinny, how about 2 rows of bones or another rib on the bottom?
Brisket: Fat side down like Todd said, or maybe just 6 or 7 slices & some burnt ends?

If you're doing Ducks, I'll see ya there :-D. I'll be there Friday visiting & Saturday judging.

ps - your cousin gave it up --- CONGRADULATIONS ! ! !

Your right. Thanks for pointing that out Podge.

I disagree, guys. The fat cap on the brisket looks trimmed to the right thickness to me. I personally like to trim the fat to about 1/4" thickness before cooking. I like that the fat was left as is after cooking. Nice bark on that fat, I'll bet it tastes great. I'd score that brisket a 9.

pat I'm curious about the knife marks on the brisket - did you use an electric knife to slice those?

The ribs look skimpy on all that green. The side shot on the one rib looks nice, but I would have preferred to see another row of baby backs instead. I'd go a 7, maybe 8 on the ribs.

Chicken, I'd go 8. I like the angled presentation. I like the equally sized and trimmed pieces. The sauce application could be more even. So could the color. Nail those two things and I'd go to a 9.

I am with Prof Salt on the brisket, keep the fat, but like Plowboy said flip it over.

On the ribs use a second row if you can. Or run them corner to corner I am not a big fan of the rib on its side (I know).

I am going against what others are saying on the chicken and going for the front row, even out the sauce and you should have some nice looking chicken.

I think you also did a good job on the greens, maybe a bit more here and there, but remember to focus on your meat and make greens compliment not take center stage.

Good luck on the 11th! We will be pulling for you.

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate the honest remarks. The contest is in Ankeny so I will see ya there Dave and Ray :biggrin:

I did TRY to trim the fat on the brisket to a minimal level...looks like it could have been trimmed a bit more. I will try flipping the slices over to hide the fat and expose the smoke ring better.

pat I'm curious about the knife marks on the brisket - did you use an electric knife to slice those?

No electric knife.....just a serrated blade.

Pat, try to cut your brisket slices with one sweep of the knife. This will cut down on the "ruggedness" of your slice.
We'll be at ankeny too,hopefully over my cold so I can beat Ray!

Pat, try to cut your brisket slices with one sweep of the knife. This will cut down on the "ruggedness" of your slice.
We'll be at ankeny too,hopefully over my cold so I can beat Ray!

And drop the serrated knife and go with a gratan slicer.

When I saw the slices, I had to look twice because I thought it was sliced the wrong way: with the grain.

Cutting technique is also improtant.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3806697188653294913

Here is a link to a great Alton Brown video showing various cutting techniques. At about 3 min. in, he cuts roast meat and imo, is a great example of roast meat cutting. He does another interesting thin at 5.30, but I think the whole thing is great!

BTW--The knives he used are the knives I would use if I had a spare thousand dollars laying around the house. /;)

Go with the 14", but yes, Forschner is your best buy/value.

These Forschners are probably the most popular slicing knives I've seen used by contest folk. They work great: thin stamped edge with granton divots slices through meat w/ very little resistance.

Personally, these long beef slicers are a little whippy for my preference. I use a 10" forged German chef's knife. I like the stiffness in the blade and the more substantial weight does a lot of the work for me. With the thin carving blades, I feel I have to put a lot more downward force on the edge. I also like the knuckle clearance on the taller chef's blades.

But I'm odd like that. Whatever knife you end up with, keep it razor sharp and it'll work well for you.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trim the brisket fat. place your slices fat side down. Hide the fat on the first slice with garnish or trim it after you slice. That little bit of fat has a lot of flavor in it.

I would NEVER put a rib on edge like that.

at first, i didn't look at it that way, but i guess you're right. he's put his slices in "fat side up" not "fat side down. but i've seen briskets with fat on the top, and that's the fat i mean to trim off.

Back