Hap's BBQ in PHX takes a bad hit

bbqjoe said:
Review a little long to post, click here
nice plug for you. Sounds like the good word is getting around...

"about 23 hours ago Seth Chadwick replied to amkirkland

I have only done a handful of BBQ reviews. I would avoid Hap's, Lovejoy's, and Big City BBQ. BobbyQ is okay, but not great.

There are lots of fans of Honey Bears. While I haven't done a formal review, I have had a few sandwiches at the location on Central Avenue and the consistency is sorely lacking. At times it has been very good and other time it has been poor (mostly problems with gristle in the sandwiches).

The scuttlebutt around town is that Joe's BBQ in Wikieup is very good, so I may have to trek up there. But that is a 90 minute drive from Phoenix, so who knows. Also, Joe's BBQ in the East Valley is often recommended to me. "

At first, I had real trouble believing the voracity of this review.
Figured he might be one of those with their nose up in the air.

I do not see how any business could survive if it was really that bad.

For example (Brisket):
"Clearly, ash or soot from the cooking pit had been mixed with the meat. There was no meat taste. There was no BBQ taste. There was only the taste of ash or soot. On my second attempt, my gag reflex kicked in and I simply could not finish it. This was truly awful. If this is what “smoked” meat is supposed to be like, I will pass."

Then I looked at the pic :twisted:

What a shame.

TIM

I looked at the Haps BBQ website and they had better reviews. I wonder why they don't post the bad reviews too? hmmmmmmmmm....

The reviewer is Chad Sethwick. He has a blog www.feastinginphoenix.com
He is fair, but yet very critical, and yet generous. Not impossible to please.
But hope to high hell he doesn't find you on a bad day.

Isn't it Seth Chadwick? I think that's how he's always posted on Chowhound. Although, people always use made up names on there.

backyardchef said:
Isn't it Seth Chadwick? I think that's how he's always posted on Chowhound. Although, people always use made up names on there.
Holy Chit!!! I had no idea I was experiencing dyslexia!
Fark! What's next??????

Don't worry, Joe. It was probably just another huge failure of the Bush administration.

backyardchef said:
Don't worry, Joe. It was probably just another huge failure of the Bush administration.
Yeah!............................That's the ticket!!!!

Hold the phone. Bush is president?!!! Has anyone told Chad Sethwick?!

<PUSHES THE THREAD BACK ON TOPIC...>

Joe, that's cool you got some praise out of that. I guess Honey Bear's and Joe's in Gilbert need a vist, eh? Maybe YOU can have "cowbro" beans... WTF??? HEHE

Just between us, I have had a number of folks from Phoenix say that we give both places a run for the money.

But there's two guys on that chowhound board that have mentioned us a time or two. One guy had some ribs that his folks brought home to him.
But neither have been here yet. Hope to see them soon!

(Shameless media whore mod)

Back